Dvd Won't Play On Laptop?

Hi all.

A certain DVD won't play on the laptop but is fine in a DVD player.

Other ones have no issues. They play both on the laptop and DVD player.

What could be wrong?

I've a Win 7 laptop btw.

Thanks.

At a guess your laptop DVD player doesn’t have the right codecs or whatever or it’s Windows 7 related. Is 7 still supported ?

9 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

At a guess your laptop DVD player doesn’t have the right codecs or whatever or it’s Windows 7 related. Is 7 still supported ?

I think supportfor Win 7 ended a few years ago.

But what I can't understand is, the laptop's about 10 years old, and the DVD player about 17!

Do you think it's the way they've produced the 'problematic' DVD that's causing the issue? That it's somehow not allowed to be played on a laptop? Only on a DVD player?

Support only added patches, not extra features.

Try a different player, eg vlc.

What happens when you try to play it, which player software are you using, can you see files on the disc in explorer. (If so, try playing the vob files in vlc)

Copy protection can sometimes cause problems, but that was more an issue for CD's. See if there is any mention of copy protection on the label

Assume the disc isn't physically damaged, and the format is compatible with your drive (eg standard dvd, not Blu-ray)?

Edited by fools

As soon as I place the DVD in the laptop, it starts making some sort of a very rough clunky sound. It won't even auto-play and there's no icon when there's usually a disc inserted.

Edited by TyneSoft

18 minutes ago, TyneSoft said:

As soon as I place the DVD in the laptop, it starts making some sort of a very rough clunky sound. It won't even auto-play and there's no icon when there's usually a disc inserted.

Wonky/damaged disc. Some slimline players (as used in PCs) are very finicky about the disc surface, whereas full-size DVD players will compensate. I've seen this with the odd disc I have. Also happens to CDs - they'll play OK in a proper player, but not on the laptop.

I see. Thanks for why it could be happening, RollingJ.

And do you know what or where the damage could be on the disc, and whether there's any chance of fixing it?

Physically it looks absolutely fine.

@TyneSoftCould most likely be scratches too small to be seen with the naked eye, and to be honest there is no way of fixing those. Try giving the disc a gentle wipe with a soft cloth - a clean glasses lens one is a good idea, but to be honest, given your description of the noise, I  doubt you will be able to fix it to make it suitable for the computers DVD player.

Have you ever used the equivalent of one of these?:

https://www.allsop.com/product/cd-dvd-lens-cleaner-56500/

I wanted to post a link to Farnells but their site is down at the moment!

Recently had to buy a new DVD-RW for old Dell Latitude from Hells Dells in Germany - problem sorted.