Sportsman Crosspool Closed

Customers  chucked out at 5pm on a Friday - insufficient team members!

That's neoliberalism and globalisation for you - typical Crosspool, they don't want your money if you're not one of them

13 hours ago, MJ01 said:

That's neoliberalism and globalisation for you - typical Crosspool, they don't want your money if you're not one of them

Not so, I recall the pre season friendlies at Crosspool, it did very well out of teams from all 

corners of Sheffield, pubs close when the locals lose interest, What I do recall is that it could be cold in August.

As an ex-Crosspooler I can recall some glorious nights pub-crawling there in the 70s. The King's Head, The Plough, the Bell Hagg... marvellous places.  Crosspool Tavern was still a tad on the snooty side then. People 'dressed up' to eat there. A lot of retired colonel types, bankers etc frequented it. Not really the kind of people that would discussed United's current fortunes or the latest T.Rex album. Wasn't really us.

Never get to 'Pool any more. My folks have passed and friends have all moved on. No reason to go. I think the old Wednesday player Johnny Fantham had a hardware(?) shop up there when I was a kid.

Edited by wearysmith

Not a great pub crawl these days is it? It hasn't been for many a year. 

Tavern - poor but at least it has the football on TV if you're desperate

Sportsman - average 'family pub' but the beer is OK

Indian Restaurant bar - hmmm, good luck to them but I can't see that succeeding

Plough - soon to be demolished

An Itchy Pig/Ale Club or similar micropub would inject some life and would do well but would never be allowed.

Three pubs lost on the Holmesfield Main Road run plus another three in Dronfield Woodhouse, only one in Totley and none in Dore. This tells me that the drive from pub to pub is a thing of the past and that local support is the order of the day.

4 hours ago, LovePotion said:

And where do you live, which ends are you repping? Would you like it if a load of people from other areas came and filled your local pubs?

People from all over Sheffield and indeed the UK frequent the pubs where I live. I quite like the mix and vibrancy it brings, as well as helping to financially sustain them.