Sign in to follow this  

Can You Freeze Milk ?

I buy milk in the large plastic containers from the supermarket. Sometimes I run out so wondered if I bought extra milk, could I freeze the milk in the drawers of my freezer. If I can do this, how long does the milk take to defrost ?

I've frozen and defrosted semi-skimmed milk with no issues.  I've only frozen one pint plastic jugs though, as of course the larger sizes would take an age to thaw.  You're meant to thaw the frozen milk in the fridge, but I kept it at room temperature for a bit until it went a bit squishy, then finished the defrosting in the fridge.  It takes a couple of days to thaw, helped along by squeezing and shaking the bottle from time to time.

Make sure there's space in the jug for the expansion that occurs as the milk freezes.

I buy Cravendale semi-skimmed milk.  It's filtered and so has a longer use-by date than standard milk.