Security Light Advice.

I have a security light on the front of my house ,which comes on automatically when dark. This is very useful especially as it shines on the steps leading up to my house, so makes it safer. My neighbour in the house opposite complains that the security light is shining into his kitchen, although he has a Venetian blind to pull down. He keeps coming onto my property when I’m not in and bending the neck of the lamp down, so it shines at a lower angle. I then have to bend it back again. I have told him to stay off my property, but he says he’s going to report the light to the council as being a nuisance. Our houses aren’t council houses so can he do this ?

You posted the same question 3 years ago Pat, I don’t know about the legalities but if you’ve not come to an agreement by now I’m not sure you ever will.

Edited by nikki-red

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

You posted the same question 3 years ago Pat, I don’t know about the legalities but if you’ve not come to an agreement by now I’m not sure you ever will.

Sorry Nikki didn’t realise I had posted this before. We have not come to an agreement over this but the man hasn’t threatened to report me to the council before. Can’t see what they have to do with it.

What style is it, is it the rectangle type on a swivel bracket with halogen/LED bulb?

Depends on the attitude of your neighbour I guess! 

You could theoretically replace with a lower wattage? Less blinding in his kitchen? Or even just learn to live with the lesser angle on the light if it's sufficient. 

Or maybe modify/buy a new light that allows you to adjust left to right angle too,so you can keep the vertical angle but move the beam away from his kitchen? 

Or a combination of the two - you can get decent solar powered lighting quite cheap that may be suitable for lighting steps without running an extra power source. 

Or if you genuinely feel you're being reasonable and neighbourly and he's just trying to cause a fuss over nothing keep the light and let him crack on with the report 🙄 though expecting him to put his blind down every time your light comes on is probably the same level of neighbourly entitlement as him expecting you to move the light for his benefit.

This is how people get on Neighbours from Hell 😆

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

I have a security light on the front of my house ,which comes on automatically when dark. 

That sounds like a permanent light shining, maybe you replace it with a sensored security floodlight so it only comes on when there is some motion.

i can see some folk can get upset, the people opposite us have a security camera with constant bright LED lights that shine through our upstairs window,  I think it's good that they have it, we certainly would not fallout over it, but I did have to put a blind and curtains to block the light.

on the flipside I have a work unit that has several houses across its boundary, and it has 4 floodlights that when triggered lights up the yard and those houses, I've  had one complaint about them, so dipped them down, of course I then had other residents asking for them to be lifted up, so they could see the path, sometimes you can't win.

If it does get out of hand you could ask the Local PCSOs for advice and recommendations on home security measures, if it's been recommended by some sort of local authority, be it the local police or  council, some people will  then be satisfied with that. 

Edited by steve68

The thing is this light only comes on if someone walks across my property, so it’s not permanently on. Also it has to be quite dark outside for this to happen. I have quite a few steps up to my property so when Im coming up these steps after dark it shines on these steps and helps me.  My neighbour has a Venetian blind in his kitchen ,which is pulled down after dark, so I don’t see what his problem is. 

Edited by pattricia

11 hours ago, pattricia said:

I have a security light on the front of my house ,which comes on automatically when dark. This is very useful especially as it shines on the steps leading up to my house, so makes it safer. My neighbour in the house opposite complains that the security light is shining into his kitchen, He keeps coming onto my property when I’m not in and bending the neck of the lamp down, so it shines at a lower angle. I then have to bend it back again. I have told him to stay off my property, but he says he’s going to report the light to the council as being a nuisance. Our houses aren’t council houses so can he do this ?

3 years and he hasn't reported you yet says it all.

Sounds like the type who even if you alter the lamp it'll be something else next time, squeaky gate, colour of your front door, hanging basket makes a noise in the wind, once you start doing as they whish your house is never your own.

Question: how is it, he manages to reach your lamp to alter it?  is it that low or does he bring his ladders ?

Grease & razorblades or worse  🙄  spread on wherever he adjusts the lamp 'll stop the bugger altering the angle of the lamp. 

Neighbours who'd have them :huh:.

We've had our share of 'Nutjacks' over the years.

Keep safe Pattricia 8) .

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

3 years and he hasn't reported you yet says it all.

Sounds like the type who even if you alter the lamp it'll be something else next time, squeaky gate, colour of your front door, hanging basket makes a noise in the wind, once you start doing as they whish your house is never your own.

Question: how is it, he manages to reach your lamp to alter it?  is it that low or does he bring his ladders ?

Grease & razorblades or worse  🙄  spread on wherever he adjusts the lamp 'll stop the bugger altering the angle of the lamp. 

Neighbours who'd have them :huh:.

We've had our share of 'Nutjacks' over the years.

Keep safe Pattricia 8) .

Hmmm... :huh:

Well all that it tells me is that people should not believe everything they read on here...

... and that in order to keep your post count ticking over, it's sometimes necessary to repeat yourself! :hihi: