Hi, I'm a freelance writer, writing for The Good Food Guide about Sheffield's food scene and how we are using disused and derelict spaces ie Cutlery Works, Kommune etc. Does anyone have any strong opinions about how Kelham Island has changed and wouldn't mind being quoted in the feature? I'd especially love to know what someone who used to work there when it was industrial thinks of it now.

Thanks

Sam  

The problem is its spreading , Neepsend and Parkwood areas are now under threat from the yuppie  invasion .

This means that Sheffield loses more of its unique areas and industrial landscapes .

Also there is no provision whatsoever for social housing in these new middle class enclaves , That  means that the families that worked and made the places what they are ,are moved out to the four corners of  the City .

The traditional pubs are replaced by plastic pubs some even have there Industrial name changed ,

Kelham is no longer recognisable to its old workers and residents . 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

The problem is its spreading , Neepsend and Parkwood areas are now under threat from the yuppie  invasion .

This means that Sheffield loses more of its unique areas and industrial landscapes .

Also there is no provision whatsoever for social housing in these new middle class enclaves , That  means that the families that worked and made the places what they are ,are moved out to the four corners of  the City .

The traditional pubs are replaced by plastic pubs some even have there Industrial name changed ,

Kelham is no longer recognisable to its old workers and residents . 

The families that worked and made those places had moved on long before the gentrification of kelham island.

Neepsend and parkwood are in need of regeneration.

27 minutes ago, makapaka said:

The families that worked and made those places had moved on long before the gentrification of kelham island.

Neepsend and parkwood are in need of regeneration.

why

Leave it alone , 

Cuttsie.they dont give a monkeys about the history or our heritage not when there are zillions of quids to be made plastic pubs for plastic people.

Hey @bullerboY Can I quote you on that please? Where's your perspective coming from? Is it that we've now lost the industry that used to be there? Or is it the plastic pubs?

2 hours ago, bullerboY said:

Cuttsie.they dont give a monkeys about the history or our heritage not when there are zillions of quids to be made plastic pubs for plastic people.

Bang   on  ,real ale my arssse, Its cloudy , stinks , has bits floating in it , That lot who sup it in little slurps would be kemexed on a pint of proper Stoooonses or Magnet 

it meks me spew when I see em supping and letting some go back in the glass from the gobs and then dripping down the chin  beards  . Bloody fairies ..

I can remember going to the Alma pub with a brush stale with nails along it to carry the mashing cans of beer for the rolling mill men. I don`t think they would have supped the rubbish that is knocking about today.

You can't stay stuck in the past. The area was a hustle and bustle in its heyday but the industrial landscape of the city has changed and things have to evolve and move on. Until recent years the area was run down, derelict and abandoned. Anything that gets people down that area and making use of the old buildings rather than demolish them is a good thing IMHO.

1 hour ago, Beamish said:

You can't stay stuck in the past. The area was a hustle and bustle in its heyday but the industrial landscape of the city has changed and things have to evolve and move on. Until recent years the area was run down, derelict and abandoned. Anything that gets people down that area and making use of the old buildings rather than demolish them is a good thing IMHO.

it is inc social housing .