Lloyds Bank, Doctors Milking Covid.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Doctors are paid per patient on their list, whether they need medical help or not.

If all the young and able bodied ones leave to go onto video doctor websites, it leaves all the elderly and most needy patients who are left to attend surgeries, with very little funding to pay for them. That surgery/service is likely to close altogether.

You can access online GPs on the NHS whilst remaining registered with your surgery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Doctors are paid per patient on their list, whether they need medical help or not.

If all the young and able bodied ones leave to go onto video doctor websites, it leaves all the elderly and most needy patients who are left to attend surgeries, with very little funding to pay for them. That surgery/service is likely to close altogether.

We're talking about Virgin Media here Anna. 

All the doctors that I have spoken to, and that I've seen interviewed agree that face to face consultations are far and away better than anything you can do on the phone.

I worry that serious misdiagnosis will occur and serious illnesses will be missed. 

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

All the doctors that I have spoken to, and that I've seen interviewed agree that face to face consultations are far and away better than anything you can do on the phone.

I worry that serious misdiagnosis will occur and serious illnesses will be missed. 

I think it already has, because I keep hearing of people dieing of cancer because it has been wrongly diagnosed and by the time it has been correctly diagnosed it is too late.

Like it or not banks have been reducing opening hours of local branches for years before covid.  Covid may have sped up the demise of yet more local branches, with hours being reduced yet more before closure, but it would have happened anyway in the not too distant future. City centre banks are open 9-5 ish though.

Getting a doctor’s appointment pre Covid at my gp always involved a scramble to call at 8am and then if and when it was eventually answered being offered a ‘take it or leave it’ appointment usually late morning which for was not ideal for a working person. So having the option of a phone appointment with the doctor could be better sometimes.

So I do not think banks or GPs are ‘milking Covid’. It’s also worth pointing out a consequence of the government’s ‘living with Covid’ plan is that people are going to be unwell more than they used to be as a result of regularly catching Covid.  There is a LOT of Covid around now.  Thankfully most people won’t be seriously ill but a lot of people will feel rotten and too ill to work for a few days including those working in banks. Staff in gp surgery’s are especially at risk for obvious reasons and I think it is not unreasonable that they are trying to minimise this risk so they don’t catch Covid and pass it on to their patients, some of whom will be vulnerable, or have staff shortages due to people being ill with Covid.

Edited by redruby

I agree with most of your post but what baffles me is why at our doctors don`t the receptionists wear masks, if they are in a vulnerable place.

2 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I agree with most of your post but what baffles me is why at our doctors don`t the receptionists wear masks, if they are in a vulnerable place.

They are behind a screen or over 2 meters away, there is the computer in front of them and a counter.

8 hours ago, redruby said:

Like it or not banks have been reducing opening hours of local branches for years before covid.  Covid may have sped up the demise of yet more local branches, with hours being reduced yet more before closure, but it would have happened anyway in the not too distant future. City centre banks are open 9-5 ish though.

Getting a doctor’s appointment pre Covid at my gp always involved a scramble to call at 8am and then if and when it was eventually answered being offered a ‘take it or leave it’ appointment usually late morning which for was not ideal for a working person. So having the option of a phone appointment with the doctor could be better sometimes.

So I do not think banks or GPs are ‘milking Covid’. It’s also worth pointing out a consequence of the government’s ‘living with Covid’ plan is that people are going to be unwell more than they used to be as a result of regularly catching Covid.  There is a LOT of Covid around now.  Thankfully most people won’t be seriously ill but a lot of people will feel rotten and too ill to work for a few days including those working in banks. Staff in gp surgery’s are especially at risk for obvious reasons and I think it is not unreasonable that they are trying to minimise this risk so they don’t catch Covid and pass it on to their patients, some of whom will be vulnerable, or have staff shortages due to people being ill with Covid.

I am surprised that you couldn't walk into the surgery and make an appointment pre-covid. You could do that at all the surgeries near here.

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

I am surprised that you couldn't walk into the surgery and make an appointment pre-covid. You could do that at all the surgeries near here.

No not at my surgery and i know it was same at others pre-Covid. Only the option to call at 8 am with no guarantee of getting through usually only offered one appointment you could take or leave at some time mid to late morning 

1 minute ago, redruby said:

No not at my surgery and i know it was same at others pre-Covid. Only the option to call at 8 am with no guarantee of getting through usually only offered one appointment you could take or leave at some time mid to late morning 

Same here, since well before covid.

The really annoying thing is after you've been hanging on the phone for three quarters of an hour they tell you all the appointment slots have gone, but they won't let you book in for the following day. So you have to go through the same rigmarole again next day, and the next.... Frankly I'm fed up with it.

Also at my doctors, phone call backs from the doctor  "can be any time in the next few days" which leaves you in limbo not wanting to use the phone, just in case they phone.

9 hours ago, Kidorry said:

They ought to but I suppose now the government don’t mandate it then their employers can’t enforce it either? That said, at my dentist they are still asking patients to wear a mask in the waiting room and all staff still wear one

Edited by redruby