Sign in to follow this  

Minecraft Server Hosting

Ive been asked to look into setting up a hosted mincraft server and I was wondering if there was any help and advice out there as to the best host and what I should be looking for / avoiding?

Please feel free to push this into the right section if this is the wrong place

For a minecraft server, your key points for a server are...

Linux host... (always best, is doable on windows but more awkward and usually more expensive)

CPU - a decent CPU with the highest/best possible SINGLE CORE performance you can get - MineCraft (Java) Server isn't truly multi-threaded so single core performance is key... will help with hosting more users and mods, the better the CPU..

HDD -  an SSD is recommended, unless you are using a fast RAID setup, a faster HDD will allow faster saving and loading of the server and the map and all assets, it will also mean a smoother user experience...

RAM - More RAM is better (not necessarily fastest) - You can optimize the server with a fair bit of tweaking, and using bukkit and derivatives etc, but more RAM is always better, and will greatly help with providing a smoother experience.... The less swapping around the server has to do (the more it can keep in RAM) the better... you can define ram limits in the startup script for the server...

If you need any more help, or have questions drop me a DM, it's something I did for a while a few years back :)

Edited by Ghozer