Virginmedia Advice

My household has two VM V6 boxes.

If I give up one of them to save on the monthly cost, Will VVM actually ask for the box back? And if not, will I still be able to access the old recrodings on it (although obviously not view new content).

Thanks

Edited by Grahamfff

41 minutes ago, Grahamfff said:

My household has two VM V6 boxes.

If I give up one of them to save on the monthly cost, Will VVM actually ask for the box back? And if not, will I still be able to access the old recrodings on it (although obviously not view new content).

Thanks

They do tend to ask for their equipment back or fine you cost of it. 

Virginmedia are like Hotel California - you can checkout any time but you can  never leave . As with any Virgin product they make life difficult for any one that  tries to leave Keep checking they don't take your monthly subscribtion even after you have left they are notorious for that 

Should you send the box back, you lose all the recordings.  They do not allow any method to transfer the recordings elsewhere for copyright reasons.  I suggest that you start to watch them all before returning the box, or else use the box to connect to a DVD recorder, play them one by one and save them in that format.  Unsure if you can also do this with a PVR as well.

VM didn't ask for our second box back when we discontinued the service, maybe because it was an older generation box.

We looked at backing up the content but could find no way to do that. The USB port didn't provide access and I believe the content is encrypted. VM have a way to transfer content from box to box but not export it, so we were told.

When they replaced our main box to the Tivo box (not sure what gen that is) they said they'd copy the recordings across. They didn't which explained why they didn't stop long and made a sharp exit.  We managed to find everything we'd lost elsewhere 😇 and have them on a USB hard drive plugged into our Smart TV.

4 hours ago, chipfork said:

We looked at backing up the content but could find no way to do that. The USB port didn't provide access and I believe the content is encrypted. VM have a way to transfer content from box to box but not export it, so we were told.

You can back up individual programs as I said earlier, by linking the box to a DVD.  The cable you are using (eg HDMI, Scart) between the V box and the tele - plug that into the DVD, then connect the DVD to the tele.  Tune the DVD to the output from the V box (I'd set a recording you have (after noting its length) to play, then pause it.  Now make sure the TV is tuned to your DVD.  Then get the DVD tuned to the (paused) recording.  This may well come in as EXT-1 or similar - on older sets go down from channel 3 to 2, then 1, then EXT-1...).  Once you have the paused recording on screen, insert a disk, set the recoding time, and when that starts, press play on the V box and it should record it.  Good luck!