Access To Lyceum By Car

Where did I state the car parks were full? You are making things up now.

See, you disagree with me, thats fine.

Edited by HeHasRisen

There is no logic to why a larger place should charge. If car parks aren't full, it isn't to manage demand or pollution, it's to raise money.

You are paying in Chesterfield, so why aren't you comparing Chesterfield with all those other places I mentioned which are free. Same size or larger don'tya know.

Be careful which car park you use, I had my car damaged after paying my 80p to park on their crappily surfaced and marked waste ground.

Will you be heckling there too.

Edited by fools

Oh I agree, its unacceptable a place as "big" as Chesterfield is charging. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, fools said:

I've noted your repeated use of this argument, it is a non-argument, just like your private car parks charge, so why shouldn't councils nonsense.

Generally, the bigger the place, the more demand there is for the parking in the city / town centre.

If there's more demand, and supply is limited, you can charge more. That's how supply and demand works. That's why parking costs more in bigger cities than it does in smaller market towns. 

Councils are only allowed to introduce parking restrictions, including charging for for parking, as a way of managing traffic, ie managing demand. 

Providing and managing parking has a substantial cost, so why would you think it should be free?

1 hour ago, fools said:

The car parks aren't full, it's a nonsense.

In Sheffield, there's an over-supply of parking in the city centre, that's why some of the private sector car parks aren't that well used and you tend to see them making cheap offers on their prices.

The Council only controls a comparatively small amount of the parking in Sheffield centre (circa 20%). They don't have that much off-street parking. The Council's car parks and on-street parking are pretty well used in the city centre and the prices they charge compare favourably with what the private sector are charging in that area.

Edited by Planner1

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

you can charge more. That's how supply and demand works.

Oh what a revelation, it's like being at school again.

Are you having trouble keeping up? What you can do doesn't enter into it, this is not a private business.

Chesterfield will have many completely empty car parks at 7.30pm tonight, but they choose to charge, just until 8 mind, when the punters are all safely tucked inside the Winding wheel watching Julian Clary wondering if they'll get dragged on stage. Barnsley, a similar population, free after 5pm and all weekend. Rotherham, a similar size, free after 6pm and all weekend.

Supply and demand doesn't come into it. It's a policy decision. You've already said Sheffield is free at 8.30pm, the city centre car parks don't all suddenly empty at that time, it's a nonsense.

As for the cost to maintain a few square feet of tarmac (which I've already paid towards), take it out of the many thousands of pounds a year I pay in council tax, road tax, and petrol tax.

Edited by fools

6 minutes ago, fools said:

Oh what a revelation, it's like being at school again.

Are you having trouble keeping up? What you can do doesn't enter into it, this is not a private business.

Chesterfield will have many completely empty car parks at 7.30pm tonight, but they choose to charge, just until 8 mind, when the punters are all safely tucked inside the Winding wheel watching Julian Clary wondering if they'll get dragged on stage. Barnsley, a similar population, free after 5pm and all weekend. Rotherham, a similar size, free after 6pm and all weekend.

Supply and demand doesn't come into it. It's a policy decision. You've already said Sheffield is free at 8.30pm, the city centre car parks don't all suddenly empty at that time, it's a nonsense.

Hmmm... :huh:

Maybe that's the time the traffic enforcement officers knock off? :hihi:

Well yes, they will knock off at the time the enforcement finishes. Unless you are saying you want money wasted on staff when parking is free, or you want the hours of chargeable parking expanded?

First level thinking. Come on Mr Bloke you can do better than that.

Edited by HeHasRisen

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes, they will knock off at the time the enforcement finishes. Unless you are saying you want money wasted on staff when parking is free, or you want the hours of chargeable parking expanded?

First level thinking. Come on Mr Bloke you can do better than that.

Oh dear! :roll:

No, what I'm saying Mr Risen, is that if the Council could get staff to work after 8:30pm then parking would no longer be free at that time either...

... but the traffic enforcement officers would probably have to be paid substantial overtime payments to compensate for their loss of earnings from their pizza delivery jobs... :hihi:

Just now, Mr Bloke said:

Oh dear! :roll:

No, what I'm saying Mr Risen, is that if the Council could get staff to work after 8:30pm then parking would no longer be free at that time either...

Well yes but clearly nobody wants that, dont be giving anyone ideas.

22 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Yes it is. It’s free after 8.30pm on all Council controlled parking. 

Of course the private sector charge 24/7.

Here's what SCC say re on-street parking):

[From  https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parking/city-centre-car-parking ]

• Monday to Sunday: charging from 8am to 8:30pm
    • Monday to Saturday: special evening rate from 4.30pm to 8.30pm of £2
    • Sunday: special flat rate of £2 a day
    • no time limits for parking on street
    • single yellow lines: no parking from 8am to 8.30pm
    • motorcycles can use our pay and display parking for free at all times 

Sunday? £2? Crackers!

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

1 minute ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Here's what SCC say re on-street parking):

[From  https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parking/city-centre-car-parking ]

• Monday to Sunday: charging from 8am to 8:30pm
    • Monday to Saturday: special evening rate from 4.30pm to 8.30pm of £2
    • Sunday: special flat rate of £2 a day
    • no time limits for parking on street
    • single yellow lines: no parking from 8am to 8.30pm
    • motorcycles can use our pay and display parking for free at all times 

Sunday? £2? Crackers!

So free after half 8 at night then, as we said yesterday.