Penalty Charge Notice Deadline - True Or False?

Hello everyone.

A question for a fellow motorheads. Driving around england is getting tricky. Forgetting to pay when entering an clean air zone is very typical and unfortunate. Unfortunately I may have forgot to pay a CAZ charge when I was in Birmingham once in January, just passed through clean air zone on my route somewhere, and then again when going back. Now here and there are articles about the deadlines of penalty charge notices. I do know that the ones issued by police can date as far back as 6 months, making anything older than that - easy to challenge and dismiss. Londons council has legislation of 28 days deadline for charge notices, but birmingham has nothing about this topic. 

Are there anyone well versed with law and tell me, if council issued penalty notices that are 28 or more days after an offence are still valid. I havent got any notice but I feel like I'm sitting on cactus (in a sense I'm a bit worried as charge is £120) and I dont know if I'll get one now, or next week, or next year.

The obvious question here is: does the address on the "logbook" match the address you live at?

Another obvious question is are you 100% sure your vehicle isnt exempt from the charge? Loads of vehicles are exempt.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Thanks for your response. Yes, address on logbook matches my address as well as drivers license. And, well, I have 2012 mazda 6 diesel, pretty sure its not exempt.

Their website says they are issued 6 days after non-payment, surely you are safe by now.

45 minutes ago, egasso said:

Thanks for your response. Yes, address on logbook matches my address as well as drivers license. And, well, I have 2012 mazda 6 diesel, pretty sure its not exempt.

Have you checked?

Drive in a clean air zone - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Yes I did checked. Some of cities my car is ok (like in Bath or greater Manchester) but in Birmingham its £8 a day

Looking at the map of the Birmingham Clean Air Zone (at https://www.brumbreathes.co.uk/info/25/welcome-2/1/welcome-1/2 )

The zone is the area within the ring road, but not the ring road itself.

Birmingham's Clean Air Zone will cover all roads within the A4540 Middleway Ring Road but not the Middleway itself. This includes the A38 and tunnels.

21 minutes ago, Hopman said:

Looking at the map of the Birmingham Clean Air Zone (at https://www.brumbreathes.co.uk/info/25/welcome-2/1/welcome-1/2 )

The zone is the area within the ring road, but not the ring road itself.

Hmmm... :huh:

Now that's interesting...

... and obviously the sensible way to do things!

I don't suppose anyone can remember SCC's proposals, and the excuses as to why the ring road had to be included in Sheffield's own CAZ? :roll:

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

I don't suppose anyone can remember SCC's proposals, and the excuses as to why the ring road had to be included in Sheffield's own CAZ? :roll:

£££  £££ £££?