Lidl To Open High Street Shop.

16 minutes ago, dutch said:

Ha and loads of trolleys chained up out there on high street, interesting.

Will be in-store only like the one on the outer side of Arndale.

3 hours ago, dutch said:

I have never been to a lidl but feel already tempted to try it out. 

If this is going to be as crazy busy as the aldi by london rd I would rather go back to waitrose again.

Waste of money, and spent years in London shopping in Wairrose and M&S due to convenience of station locations. M&S in particular, I was shocked to find out they used the same supply chain for meats, etc. Two Sister to be exact, so no looking back, except for some certain brands I continue to use. 

1 hour ago, dutch said:

Ha and loads of trolleys chained up out there on high street, interesting.

Does M&S foodhall have loads of trolleys chained up all over the high street?  Does the co-op? Did Sommerfield when it was there? Does Sainsbury's on the Moor?

City centre supermarkets are not a new concept. Not everyone in the world has a car and does bulk shop weekly.

Once again the Sheffield Forum pessimists descend on any new venture before it's even off the ground.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

On 06/03/2022 at 12:01, S1 1DJ said:

Waste of money, and spent years in London shopping in Wairrose and M&S due to convenience of station locations. M&S in particular, I was shocked to find out they used the same supply chain for meats, etc. Two Sister to be exact, so no looking back, except for some certain brands I continue to use. 

I'm surprised that people don't know that supermarkets all use the same supply chain for certain things. For example, if the vegetables are "grown in Britain " then it is very likely that they all come out of the same fields and the packaging and labels are designed and specified by the customer. The fields around Boston in Lincolnshire grow vegetables for all the big supermarkets.

I think this is positive news, there is another Sports Direct on the Moor which is now the main shopping area and the High Street premised won't be left empty.  There have been changes to the City Centre in recent years that have seen much more residential development, much of which is students on a budget,  so it will be good to add such an option within walking distance of their homes. It will also be handy for those of us that use public transport being close to Castle Square tram stop and the bus stops on Arundel Gate and High Street and I can see myself grabbling a few bits of shopping on my way home from work! I think those that have a car will already be using slightly out of town options with their own car parks, however for those that must there are 2 multi storey car parks within 2 minutes walk of the store.

I have never been inside a lidl.

But few times I had to walk from MS fargate to sainsbury on moor and aldi london rd and then take a bus back to northern part city centre.

Will certainly check it out when it gets there. This could save me loads of unnecessary time and travel.

Edited by dutch

On 07/03/2022 at 17:29, Meltman said:

I'm surprised that people don't know that supermarkets all use the same supply chain for certain things. For example, if the vegetables are "grown in Britain " then it is very likely that they all come out of the same fields and the packaging and labels are designed and specified by the customer. The fields around Boston in Lincolnshire grow vegetables for all the big supermarkets.

I worked in a dessert factory as a summer job almost 30 years ago and the same dessert or yoghurt or whatever would be used for no end of different products. Just stop the line, swap out the lids and pots and carry on. St Michael dessert was the same as Kwik Save.

The only one that was unique was Cadbury branded stuff that used Cadbury chocolate compared to the rest that has chocolate that came out of an unbranded sack.

On 07/03/2022 at 17:29, Meltman said:

That was when I was on my twenties and burned cash!

Lidl are apparently opening a second one at the bottom of the Moor off St Mary's Gate on the old Staples retail park:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/lidl-planning-a-second-supermarket-bringing-jobs-to-city-centre-3599763

Edited by S1 1DJ

8 hours ago, S1 1DJ said:

Lidl are apparently opening a second one at the bottom of the Moor off St Mary's Gate on the old Staples retail park:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/lidl-planning-a-second-supermarket-bringing-jobs-to-city-centre-3599763

Lets see how the moaners of Sheffield Forum pull this one apart.

Waaah waaah too close to Aldi. Waaah waaah wont be able to park up on matchdays. Waaah waaah I dont like Lidl.

9 hours ago, S1 1DJ said:

There is an Aldi across the road there but that Aldi is going full capacity often all tills open running full speed. It's a nightmare in there.

A Lidl that close would help spread capacity in that area.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Lets see how the moaners of Sheffield Forum pull this one apart.

Waaah waaah too close to Aldi. Waaah waaah wont be able to park up on matchdays. Waaah waaah I dont like Lidl.

Hmmm... :huh:

OK, I've got one!

I hope they don't expect to attract much custom from people who live outside of town doing their weekly shop...

... because it's inside the SCC proposed CAZ! :hihi:
(Yep - I know it won't apply to cars - for now!)

Just now, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

OK, I've got one!

I hope they don't expect to attract much custom from people who live outside of town doing their weekly shop...

... because it's inside the SCC proposed CAZ! :hihi:
(Yep - I know it won't apply to cars - for now!)

You do realise it only affects a small subset of domestic vehicles, dont you?