MPs Vote In Over £2000 Pay Rise

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Boris and Keir say a lot of things, usually based on what they think people want to hear. Bet they won't turn the payrise down though, or do anything about it...

It's the wrong time for this. Let's be more generous to the lowest paid workers, many of which do the most useful jobs that we can't do without as the pandemic showed.

And while we're at it, why are pay rises always a percentage?

2% of a very low wage is next to nothing, and they will continue to struggle. While 2% of the best paid salaries is a considerable amount, and makes the recipiant even richer. So the pay gap grows even wider.   

Hmmm... :huh:

I've wondered the very same thing...

... about taxes! :(

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Good on her ,an honest MP .

Perhaps you forgot the time she Sultana was sending tweets which implied that she would celebrate the deaths of the former Labour premier Tony Blair, Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu and George Bush.

Or her expenses?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/22/labour-mp-spent-700-taxpayers-money-influencers-toolkit/

I think she claimed about £45,000 in expenses in her first year in office., including stays in  a £500 a night hotel.

No wonder she doesn't need the £2k.

According to her latest expenses return, Sultana, 27, charged constituents £1,193.80 for a new iPhone last year because, she claimed, her “old phone stopped working”.

Just now, alchresearch said:

I think she claimed about £45,000 in expenses in her first year in office., including stays in  a £500 a night hotel.

Is that all? Corbyn claimed over £200k last year, for context. Isn't that right Anna? ;)

they promised to look after the nurses ect,but they are still having to go to food banks ,total disgrace,but the this goverment has given us the highest tax rates since the war,and labour are supposed to have that tag.total disgrace this goverment,and always remember the £50 note burning by boris ,cos he can

13 minutes ago, bassett one said:

they promised to look after the nurses ect,but they are still having to go to food banks ,total disgrace,but the this goverment has given us the highest tax rates since the war,and labour are supposed to have that tag.total disgrace this goverment,and always remember the £50 note burning by boris ,cos he can

Have you actually read the details or are you just blindly windmilling? It isnt the government who have increased the pay.

Just now, sibon said:

I see that, and raise you...

https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs/your-mp/jeremy-corbyn/185

I will go off the official website if thats alright, where 20/21 came to a total of £222,842 and 31 pennies. FIVE GRAND more than this Sultana woman some of you seem to be enraged about, a woman who would have had to claim for travel between Coventry and London, unlike Jezza

https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs/your-mp/zarah-sultana/4786

Edited by HeHasRisen

Guest sibon
14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Have you actually read the details or are you just blindly windmilling? It isnt the government who have increased the pay.

I see that, and raise you...

https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs/your-mp/jeremy-corbyn/185

I will go off the official website if thats alright, where 20/21 came to a total of £222,842 and 31 pennies. FIVE GRAND more than this Sultana woman some of you seem to be enraged about, a woman who would have had to claim for travel between Coventry and London, unlike Jezza

https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs/your-mp/zarah-sultana/4786

I see.

You mean his staffing costs, not his personal expenses.

Most of that is to pay caseworkers to do constituency stuff. Most MPs do the same.

Just now, sibon said:

I see.

You mean his staffing costs, not his personal expenses.

Most of that is to pay caseworkers to do constituency stuff. Most MPs do the same.

I meant the all in figure, neither of their figures are exceptional, its the cost of democracy.

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I meant the all in figure, neither of their figures are exceptional, its the cost of democracy.

It would be better if the two were separated really. If we modernised parliament, mps could have proper professional clerical and other support provided centrally. Then they could claim proper expenses only.

Of course, Nadine Dorries' family might object.

It would like still cost the same, I dont see the point. If an MP wants to pay £30k per year to a family member or for Parliament to pay someone the same for an internal member of staff it makes little odds really.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Boris and Keir say a lot of things, usually based on what they think people want to hear. Bet they won't turn the payrise down though, or do anything about it...

It's the wrong time for this. Let's be more generous to the lowest paid workers, many of which do the most useful jobs that we can't do without as the pandemic showed.

And while we're at it, why are pay rises always a percentage?

2% of a very low wage is next to nothing, and they will continue to struggle. While 2% of the best paid salaries is a considerable amount, and makes the recipiant even richer. So the pay gap grows even wider.   

Bit like Jeremy with his free broadband for all and free university education................

They didnt have a payrise last year and it is too early to comment what Mp's will do this year. When the leader of the majority party and the leader of the "largest" opposition both indicate that no pay rise should be awarded then it doesnt mean the recommendation will get accpeted.

Pay rises are a percentage same as prices in shops and bills are a percentage

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Because how else do you fairly apply a wage rise across the board when you have got multiple different grades of staff on multiple different levels of salary.

You don't seriously think it will be acceptable in a large organisation offering annual increments to boldly say that the office junior gets £2,000 rise because they are the lowest paid salary and the department manager gets just £25 rise because they earn the highest salary.  Just what sort of conflict do you think would arise when lower grades in a firm could suddenly overtake the earnings of those people on higher level grades.  It's nonsense.   There is already enough friction going off in companies without fixed pay grades when people undertaking exactly the same job are on different pay just because they were bold enough to demand more at an interview.

There is always going to be gaps. Low skilled low paid jobs do not give the same wealth and lifestyle of high paid, high-level executive jobs.... SHOCK HORROR!  

But of course you find this disparity perfectly acceptable the other way round....  ?

You don't seriously think this disparity doesn't cause conflict and resentment at the bottom end?These people work just as hard, arguably harder than those at the top. There is no way their earnings are going to overtake those at the top, just lessen the gap slightly which is good for society and cohesion.

Interesting that you refer to low paid jobs not giving the "same wealth and lifestyle" as those at the top. No, you're right, they give poverty, debt and foodbanks instead, which is why they need more money just to survive, it's not about 'wealth and lifestyle' for them....

Edited by Anna B