Engine Management Light

Has anyone got ideas to get rid of an EML on Hyundai i10. Had to 3 garages and they can't find a reason for it. Now looking to sell but would like to turn the EML off. I don't even know if this is possible

Thankyou

Edited by wobblywill

7 minutes ago, wobblywill said:

Has anyone got ideas to get rid of an EML on Hyundai i10. Had to 3 garages and they can't find a reason for it. Now looking to sell but would like to turn the EML off. I don't even know if this is possible

Thankyou

Fix the problem causing the EML to come on? 

There will be a code that generic readers (which garages use) that can't see. A Hyundai dealer will be able to find it. 

Also EML is now a major MOT failure. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Resident said:

Also EML is now a major MOT failure. Good luck. 

That means it could be anything from a leaky or faulty exhaust gas analyser or a miniscule voltage drop to a cambelt failure.  Get a diagnosis from a dealer and then shop around is my advice.   As Resident says ....good luck. But please don't try try sell it without telling the purchaser about it. You wouldn't like it done to you.  I had a Fiat motorhome that had an ECU failure. The dealership at Handsworth wanted £700. I found a garage in Dorset that fitted a new one for £200 . These things can be done. Take your time and shop around. 

My EML has been on - 99% of the time, anyway - for the past 3 or 4 years!

It started within hours of a particular MOT, and on complaining/commenting to the garage, they diagnosed that it was the "knock sensor" that was causing the problem. They suggested that as it sat beneath the (changed) oil filter, some oil may have "disturbed" it but it would probably sort itself within a few days.

It didn't, so back to the garage. Nasty job, yes they'd do it, but looking at circa £500.

There's no pattern to when it's on/off. Sometimes a speedbump can turn it off for a while, sometimes a large puddle. Sometimes it's off for a few yards, sometimes a few miles.

The car's been through 3 or 4 MOTs since, as recently as this month.

In the past week it's also been to a main dealer in order for some (free) recall work to be done, and they also give it a free "once over" (with the view to screwing some money out of you, I suppose)

The report's detailed enough to point out that one of the rear number plate bulbs needs replacing, and one of the tyres has "only" 5.5mm inner tread depth, but no mention of any problem concerning the EML.

15 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

It started within hours of a particular MOT, and on complaining/commenting to the garage, they diagnosed that it was the "knock sensor" that was causing the problem. They suggested that as it sat beneath the (changed) oil filter, some oil may have "disturbed" it but it would probably sort itself within a few days.

It didn't, so back to the garage. Nasty job, yes they'd do it, but looking at circa £500.

There's no pattern to when it's on/off. Sometimes a speedbump can turn it off for a while, sometimes a large puddle. Sometimes it's off for a few yards, sometimes a few miles.

In the past week it's also been to a main dealer in order for some (free) recall work to be done, and they also give it a free "once over" (with the view to screwing some money out of you, I suppose)

The report's detailed enough to point out that one of the rear number plate bulbs needs replacing, and one of the tyres has "only" 5.5mm inner tread depth, but no mention of any problem concerning the EML.

£500 to change a sensor that costs  between £15-£85. If yours is near the oil filter then it's easy accessible and I'd be willing to bet they've damaged it when the removed/refitted the filter. Given it's intermittant nature they could have even just dislodged the wiring clip. 

I don’t know how it got through three or four tests with the light on.

25 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

:huh:

Sounds like you have emmissions problems,

How did it pass safety inspections ?

I'm guessing that the test's weren't very exhaustive.

2 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

Nor I, but it does.

And from two different MOT accredited garages since the initial finding. 

2 hours ago, Resident said:

£500 to change a sensor that costs  between £15-£85. If yours is near the oil filter then it's easy accessible and I'd be willing to bet they've damaged it when the removed/refitted the filter. Given it's intermittant nature they could have even just dislodged the wiring clip. 

Hmmm... :huh:

I think this is the most likely! :thumbsup:

A loose connection or maybe one that just needs a bit of a clean... :)

23 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

Nor I, but it does.

And from two different MOT accredited garages since the initial finding. 

do you know if either garage used the on board diagnostics with a code reader?

3 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

If it is old enough, you are OK.

1 hour ago, MICK BADGER said:

do you know if either garage used the on board diagnostics with a code reader?

Yes.

That's how the first garage identified the culprit as being the knock sensor. 

38 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

If it is old enough, you are OK.

Maybe so, but obviously it passes all required emission tests, so.....