Different American Names For Familiar Foods

When I visited a relative in Idaho, America a few years ago I was horrified to be offered "biscuits with sausage gravy" for breakfast. I imagined a plate of McVities digestives with a couple of pork sausages and a meaty brown gravy poured over it. It turned out to be a couple of plain scones, served witha savoury white bechamel-type sauce containing pork mince, fried down with herbs and seasoning. Whilst I was out there I discovered quite a few familiar foods that are called by completely different names over there. Here's a few I came across - with the familiar British name on the left and the American name on the right

Scones are biscuits

Biscuits are cookies

Crisps are potato chips

Chips (as we know them) are fries

White sauce/bechamel sauce is gravy

Gravy (as we know it) - is red-eye gravy

Pork mince is sausage

Beef mince is hamburger

Rocket Salad leaves  are Arugula

Spring onions are green onions

Avocado is alligator pear

Jelly is jello

Sweets are candy

That's just a few that I remember but I'd be interested to hear of any others. 

Leafy coriander - cilantro.

Spring onions - scallions.

I know there are conversions readily available for those who use American recipes, but the whole cup system of measurement is odd.  I want x grams not  two and seven eighths cups.  And what's with measuring butter in 'sticks'?  One stick of butter instead of x grams.  Again, odd.

Edited by Guest

Yes - the stick of butter thing is very confusing. The Americans still use Imperial weights, pounds and ounces. 1 stick of butter = 4 ounces - or 113.4g in grams.

These damn Americans also call courgettes zucchini.