Moskvich Car Garage Mansfield Road.

Did any one actualy buy one of those Russian cars , They were around half theprice of the nearest BMC models , I remember the garage with the clock tower on on corner of Mansfield and Richmond roads , having them on fore court .

the manager at my work place bought one as he thought was it £700 was a good buy for a new car and better than a crappy second hand one,my best pal at jordo dad bought one he was a postie,they said they where well built,lots of copper /brass parts in the engine,both happy people,i saw one up for sale at the auction company on tv and they were many after the old cars as well.

28 minutes ago, bassett one said:

the manager at my work place bought one as he thought was it £700 was a good buy for a new car and better than a crappy second hand one,my best pal at jordo dad bought one he was a postie,they said they where well built,lots of copper /brass parts in the engine,both happy people,i saw one up for sale at the auction company on tv and they were many after the old cars as well.

Who was the postman on the Jordo?.

I remember Alec Froggatt on there having one.

I had the dubious honour of driving one, I used to service it (change oil) for my neighbour who bought one.

They were basic and rugged, as they had to be when driven on poorly made Russian roads and had to be repaired at the roadside. Steering rack was worm-drive rather than rack and pinion. I remember when he finally sold it, holes were appearing in the bumpers.

Edited by carosio

19 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Who was the postman on the Jordo?.

I remember Alec Froggatt on there having one.

i remember old ALEC bid of a lad ,but nice fellow,always a tale to tell of his attercliffe days

2 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i remember old ALEC bid of a lad ,but nice fellow,always a tale to tell of his attercliffe days

Had some great times with him on fishing weekends, he did most of his boozing in the Yew Tree.

yes had many a pint with him there,with the welsh landlady at the helm,plus been on a few fishing weekends with him from there,he had a mobile hotfood van as well

yeah good times on stones bitter,he a smile and laugh that was unusual,he also did roofs.good days 

The garage was Richardsons I believe and Charlie May down Backfields used to sell them,they had quite a bit of trouble clearing the casting sand out of the differential space in the back axles.

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

yes had many a pint with him there,with the welsh landlady at the helm,plus been on a few fishing weekends with him from there,he had a mobile hotfood van as well

yeah good times on stones bitter,he a smile and laugh that was unusual,he also did roofs.good days 

Lol, you've brought a long forgotten memory back with that snack Van, his eldest Son my Pal Glenn used to run it.

Alec had many ventures but his main employment was a felt roofer.

Stanley's on Northfield Road Crookes, used to sell them as well. I seem to remember they were a two stroke engine.

1 hour ago, Alextopman said:

Lol, you've brought a long forgotten memory back with that snack Van, his eldest Son my Pal Glenn used to run it.

Alec had many ventures but his main employment was a felt roofer.

i met him one day at his other passion local football,i did not realise it was him driving up to us,them he he took off scarf hat ect lots of disgiuse ,he said he had to come but should not really be driving,yes one hell of a character plus he knew plenty as well , mr hollis on linfoot also had a moskvich as i was friends with his son bob hollis,

then was there not a butcher with a big american car.yes good days never to return

8 hours ago, bassett one said:

i met him one day at his other passion local football,i did not realise it was him driving up to us,them he he took off scarf hat ect lots of disgiuse ,he said he had to come but should not really be driving,yes one hell of a character plus he knew plenty as well , mr hollis on linfoot also had a moskvich as i was friends with his son bob hollis,

then was there not a butcher with a big american car.yes good days never to return

Alec and Ronnie Savage used to run the Royal Oak football team at Coal Aston.