Fast Broadband, Slow Pcs

Expert help would be much appreciated.

The new Broadband is running at 149 Mbps on 3 Windows 10/11 laptops and old 2014 iMac and Macbook which are connected wirelessly to the router.

The problem is that the two PC desktops running Windows 10 are connected to the router by TPlink plug connections rated at 500 Mbps, they are only at about 8 Mbps.

Are the the TPlinks obsolete?

Are the PCs obsolete?

Would a wireless card in the PCs make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

@Annie BynnolIs it possible to run the desktops via ethernet? Is there room for a wireless card in the desktops?

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Annie BynnolIs it possible to run the desktops via ethernet? Is there room for a wireless card in the desktops?

Ethernet is not practical. 

Both PCs have had wireless cards in the past at a time when the broadband router wireless was not giving as good a signal as the TPlink.

I can test the PCs with a temporary very long ethernet cable to see if the PCs are the limiting factor.

Just now, Annie Bynnol said:

Both PCs have had wireless cards in the past at a time when the broadband router wireless was not giving as good a signal as the TPlink.

I can test the PCs with a temporary very long ethernet cable to see if the PCs are the limiting factor.

OK, just a suggestion. If they had wireless cards previously, then they will obviously take them, which would be my next option - I can't advise on the TP-Links , as I have never used such. How old are the PCs? The test with ethernet would be a good idea.

13 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Expert help would be much appreciated.

The new Broadband is running at 149 Mbps on 3 Windows 10/11 laptops and old 2014 iMac and Macbook which are connected wirelessly to the router.

The problem is that the two PC desktops running Windows 10 are connected to the router by TPlink plug connections rated at 500 Mbps, they are only at about 8 Mbps.

Are the PCs obsolete?

Thanks in advance.

I might be reading this wrong.

You have 3 Windows laptops using homeplugs, and your 2 macs using WiFi?

Any reason the Windows laptops aren't on WiFi?

First thing is to make sure that you're counting Mb/s and MB/s. 8 bits to a Byte, then do the maths. 8MB/s would still be quite poor for a LAN connection (IMO)

Although from past experience, I just don't like homeplugs, it's worth checking for firmware updates and/or give them a restart, just to eliminate the obvious.

If I have it wrong and the Windows PC's are desktops, a PCI-E WiFi card is a good investment. The good ones can be expensive but I've had no issues with the top end ASUS ones. If they are laptops, the WiFi cards can usually be upgraded but I'd need to know the type of card. As an idea of price, I bought an Intel AX210 for my daughter, it was just over £20 inc postage.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Are the PCs obsolete?

13 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I would doubt the PCs are the limiting factor, I would guess Wi-Fi is the challenge and running a temporary direct ethernet cable will prove that.

As you've stated, a wireless card didn't provide as good a signal as the TP-Link Wi-Fi (USB Wi-Fi adapter). I found the same with my Mum's setup, she had an external TP-Link Wi-Fi which performed well but when she changed provider and got a new router fitted, the distance was close enough for me to run a discreet ethernet cable.

I live in a 1930's house and the Wi-Fi signal has been a challenge. The router sits downstairs and to improve coverage I added a Wi-Fi extender and the best place was in a bedroom directly above without brickwork in the way. That offers reasonable coverage where needed but for my home office which is in a bedroom reasonably close to the extender, the signal is poor due to the solid walls.  So, I use Powerline adapters  and a an ethernet switch and the performance is significantly improved.

Would Powerline adapters suit your needs? I'd run the temporary ethernet cable first to check there isn't any other bottlenecks.

I am using Powerline/TPlink 500 already as the  two PC Desktops -have no wireless cards.

Fast broadband recently installed but the PC desktops are not benefiting.

Results:

PCs connected with Poweline(TP link) 10 Mbps download and 19 Mbps upload.

PCs  connected Ethernet (temporary 10 metre) direct from router 40 Mbps and 29 Mbps.

Laptops and IMac desk top at same location with wireless 149 Mbps  and 29Mbps.

I am going to get a wireless PCI tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I am using Powerline/TPlink 500 already as the  two PC Desktops -have no wireless cards.

Fast broadband recently installed but the PC desktops are not benefiting.

Results:

PCs connected with Poweline(TP link) 10 Mbps download and 19 Mbps upload.

PCs  connected Ethernet (temporary 10 metre) direct from router 40 Mbps and 29 Mbps.

Laptops and IMac desk top at same location with wireless 149 Mbps  and 29Mbps.

I am going to get a wireless PCI tomorrow.

How old are the desktops - just wondering if their internals can't handle the throughput, although with ethernet I would have expected better speeds. Powerline can be a devil to sort - I know on the other forum I use for all my queries, the majority of the experienced helpers say avoid it.

Still think the desktops have a problem, though.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

How old are the desktops - just wondering if their internals can't handle the throughput, although with ethernet I would have expected better speeds. Powerline can be a devil to sort - I know on the other forum I use for all my queries, the majority of the experienced helpers say avoid it.

Still think the desktops have a problem, though.

Yes -that is my suspicion.

The Powerline connections drops sometimes but the they just have not increased download speeds as I expected they would.

The new modem and Router are banging out 149Mbps on wireless into the whole house so returning the desktops to wireless is a last chance for them as they are at least 10 years old but running Windows10.

One is painfully slow which I am working on(removing Rapport has made a difference). Next step is to remove the spare drives and check the memory sticks as they seem to be giving the wrong numbers on Bios.

The younger one has been upgraded to do media and graphics and works far better than the iMac Yosemite which I cannot upgrade to run brand new media hardware.

I do try and 'fix' things rather than chuck stuff away so they will get one more chance.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

2 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The desktops are at least 10 years old but running Windows10.

One is painfully slow which I am working on(removing Rapport has made a difference). Next step is to remove the spare drives and check the memory sticks as they seem to be giving the wrong numbers on Bios.

The younger one has been upgraded to do media and graphics and works far better than the iMac Yosemite which I cannot upgrade to run brand new media hardware.

I do try and 'fix' things rather than chuck stuff away so they will get one more chance.

Desktops that old will really struggle to run W10, but I think the main problem - D/L, U/L speeds is also answered by their age - things like the network cards, and the processors are ancient by today's standards, and just won't be able to cope.

You'll never get anywhere near the advertised speeds on powerline gear that relies on the power cables.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The Powerline connections drops sometimes but the they just have not increased download speeds as I expected they would.

The new modem and Router are banging out 149Mbps on wireless into the whole house so returning the desktops to wireless is a last chance for them as they are at least 10 years old but running Windows10.

It's possible with the age of the PC's that they have 10/100 Ethernet. It's also possible that they use PCI, not PCI-E. 

Can you give the motherboard model numbers so I can look up what they have. From there we can make a better judgement on what might help.