Home Made Cheese Biscuits

I got fed up of shop-bought cheese biscuits never tasting quite cheesy enough, so decided to make my own. They were quick and easy to make and bake and were very tasty - so I thought I'd share the recipe.

120g plain flour

120g unsalted butter - diced

120g hard cheese - grated ( I use strong cheddar, parmesan, gruyere - or any combination of these)

If you want a bit of a spicy or herby kick to the biscuits, add a teaspoon of dried mustard powder or paprika, or a teaspoon of dried herbs -eg chives, rosemary, oregano.

Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix by rubbing in by hand, or in a food processor to form a dough. The dough should be quite firm, but still roll-able. If it's a bit too firm, you can add just a tiny splash of milk to bring it together.

Form dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for about 20 mins.

Roll out dough on grease-proof paper, or on a lightly floured surface, until about the thickness of a pound coin. Cut your biscuits to the size and shape you require. I roll my dough into a rectangle and cut into squares about the size of a small cream cracker. It makes about 16 biscuits. Alternatively, you can  cut into round shapes with a biscuit cutter.

, Then bake on a lightly greased baking tray in a pre-heated oven 170C/Gas 4 for approx 12-15 mins until light golden. 

On 14/02/2022 at 17:59, FIRETHORN1 said:

I got fed up of shop-bought cheese biscuits never tasting quite cheesy enough, so decided to make my own. They were quick and easy to make and bake and were very tasty - so I thought I'd share the recipe.

120g plain flour

120g unsalted butter - diced

120g hard cheese - grated ( I use strong cheddar, parmesan, gruyere - or any combination of these)

If you want a bit of a spicy or herby kick to the biscuits, add a teaspoon of dried mustard powder or paprika, or a teaspoon of dried herbs -eg chives, rosemary, oregano.

Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix by rubbing in by hand, or in a food processor to form a dough. The dough should be quite firm, but still roll-able. If it's a bit too firm, you can add just a tiny splash of milk to bring it together.

Form dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for about 20 mins.

Roll out dough on grease-proof paper, or on a lightly floured surface, until about the thickness of a pound coin. Cut your biscuits to the size and shape you require. I roll my dough into a rectangle and cut into squares about the size of a small cream cracker. It makes about 16 biscuits. Alternatively, you can  cut into round shapes with a biscuit cutter.

, Then bake on a lightly greased baking tray in a pre-heated oven 170C/Gas 4 for approx 12-15 mins until light golden. 

Your biscuit recipe looks good.  Thanks for sharing it.

I do like cheese scones. I keep saying I’m going to make some.  I’ll have to dig out my mum’s old Bero book and see if I can make some extra cheesy scones.  

Cheers  Hauxwell. Hope you like my cheesy biscuits. You've got me fancying some cheese scones now. I knock up a few fruit scones from time to time, but haven't made any cheese scones or plain scones for ages.