Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

18 minutes ago, geared said:

There's a great number of Russians living in abject poverty, poorer than the Ukrainian people they invaded.  It was seen in the media when they were looting stuff like old TV's, toilets and home boilers.  Not exactly the usual spoils of war.

People like that don't have internet access, they know what the state tells them and that's all they know.

And when they do, the media is pumping out Putin's line, and the internet is heavily censored, there's also Russian only versions of social media so they don't see what we see

I have been told by a Ukranian that this war is the fault of Ukraine because they would not comply with the Russian demands. This person also said that they are lots of Russians families in the Donbass area who migrated there over 200 years ago so they still think they are still Russian. That is the mindset of a lot of the older Ukranians.

Edited by Kidorry
added text

As usual there is a lot we will not know about why this happened and different people will have different views mainly because of different media information.

22 hours ago, harvey19 said:

As usual there is a lot we will not know about why this happened and different people will have different views mainly because of different media information.

We know it was an unprovoked invasion

We know Russia previously annexed Ukrainian territory

We know Russia has been stoking tensions in the Donbass region and supplying men and weapons to rebel groups 

There's no way you can frame this as anything other than unilateral Russian aggression against an innocent neighbour.

23 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I have been told by a Ukranian that this war is the fault of Ukraine because they would not comply with the Russian demands. This person also said that they are lots of Russians families in the Donbass area who migrated there over 200 years ago so they still think they are still Russian. That is the mindset of a lot of the older Ukranians.

So why have my home energy costs doubled?

54 minutes ago, crookesey said:

What has that got to do with the post I made?

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

I would imagine that the $31,000,000,000.00 the Europeans are paying Putin to finance his war against the Ukraine, might have something to do with it.

"Paris Accord" countries dependent on an evil, war criminal totalitarian tyrant, for Fossil Fuel Oil and Gas, never did make sense!

They used to call it colluding with the enemy, even "Russian Collusion", but not these days!

It's a crazy world!

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

I would imagine that the $31,000,000,000.00 the Europeans are paying Putin to finance his war against the Ukraine, might have swomething to do with it.

"Paris Accord" countries dependent on an evil, war criminal totalitarian tyrant, for Fossil Fuel Oil and Gas, never did make sense!

They used to call it colluding with the enemy, even "Russian Collusion", but not these days!

It's a crazy world!

I was being sarcastic by the way.😉

Just now, crookesey said:

I was being sarcastic by the way.😉

Biden say's it's the "liberal World Order" he's trying to spread!

They used to call that "regime change", or interfering in sovereign countries domestic affairs, but not these days  :)

In any event it's been tried, and failed every time.

The penny is finally dropping, while the Ruble soars?

The Guardian

The rouble is soaring and Putin is stronger than ever - our sanctions have backfired

"Western sanctions against Russia are the most ill-conceived and counterproductive policy in recent international history. Military aid to Ukraine is justified, but the economic war is ineffective against the regime in Moscow, and devastating for its unintended targets.

"World energy prices are rocketing, inflation is soaring, supply chains are chaotic and millions are being starved of gas, grain and fertiliser. Yet Vladimir Putin’s barbarity only escalates – as does his hold over his own people.

"To criticise western sanctions is close to anathema. Defence analysts are dumb on the subject. Strategy thinktanks are silent. Britain’s putative leaders, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak, compete in belligerent rhetoric, promising ever tougher sanctions without a word of purpose. Yet, hint at scepticism on the subject and you will be excoriated as “pro-Putin” and anti-Ukraine. Sanctions are the war cry of the west’s crusade.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/29/putin-ruble-west-sanctions-russia-europe

:)

24 minutes ago, trastrick said:

The penny is finally dropping, while the Ruble soars?

The Guardian

The rouble is soaring and Putin is stronger than ever - our sanctions have backfired

"Western sanctions against Russia are the most ill-conceived and counterproductive policy in recent international history. Military aid to Ukraine is justified, but the economic war is ineffective against the regime in Moscow, and devastating for its unintended targets.

"World energy prices are rocketing, inflation is soaring, supply chains are chaotic and millions are being starved of gas, grain and fertiliser. Yet Vladimir Putin’s barbarity only escalates – as does his hold over his own people.

"To criticise western sanctions is close to anathema. Defence analysts are dumb on the subject. Strategy thinktanks are silent. Britain’s putative leaders, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak, compete in belligerent rhetoric, promising ever tougher sanctions without a word of purpose. Yet, hint at scepticism on the subject and you will be excoriated as “pro-Putin” and anti-Ukraine. Sanctions are the war cry of the west’s crusade.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/29/putin-ruble-west-sanctions-russia-europe

:)

Ah, well that's rather awkward 😅