Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

Just now, L00b said:

No. Russia’s. But you knew that. 😏

I know, I know…it’s a bit embarrassing to look at that Russian balance of trade, since it shows that the sanctions are working exactly to plan. Bad business for propagandists like you, that.

"Working exactly to plan?"

You mean the destruction, rape and slaughter in the Ukraine?

Paying the  Russian Totalitarians their inflated Fossil Fuel Prices, which the EU say they will end, at the end of the year, IF all their Members agree?

Financing Putin's war against Ukraine?.

(Must be a BidenWorld plan)  :)

Some people!

Edited by trastrick

Does it require unilateral support to ban Russian oil and gas or will majority support work?

Several countries are quite reliant on Russia for gas and have not done much to replace this source, I can't see them happily backing a ban.  If a majority vote could force their hand, that would work better.

I have wondered more than once about why Putin thought he could get away with invading Ukraine.

I don't think it's any one thing, it's a collection, all of which led him to believe the west was weak and would never do anything to risk the lives of it's own citizens. Our reaction to Covid must have helped cement that view in his mind, that we really would shut down society for months on end for a virus which over 99% of people were surviving so we would never go to war for Ukraine.

Well he was right, we wouldn't. But what he hadn't bargained on was Ukraine putting up such stiff resistance which gained them valuable time, and he had forgotten that the West supplying arms to the Ukraine does not actually out any of their citizens in the firing line, so they're prepared to do that.

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have wondered more than once about why Putin thought he could get away with invading Ukraine.

I don't think it's any one thing, it's a collection, all of which led him to believe the west was weak and would never do anything to risk the lives of it's own citizens. Our reaction to Covid must have helped cement that view in his mind, that we really would shut down society for months on end for a virus which over 99% of people were surviving so we would never go to war for Ukraine.

Well he was right, we wouldn't. But what he hadn't bargained on was Ukraine putting up such stiff resistance which gained them valuable time, and he had forgotten that the West supplying arms to the Ukraine does not actually out any of their citizens in the firing line, so they're prepared to do that.

You have a Covid centric view on every conceivable event.

Putin’s intent to reestablish the former territories of the Soviet Union were in play many years before Coronavirus became an issue.

46 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You have a Covid centric view on every conceivable event.

Putin’s intent to reestablish the former territories of the Soviet Union were in play many years before Coronavirus became an issue.

With Chekhov everything's about Covid.  If Covid hadn't happened i'm pretty sure the war in Ukraine would still be going on.

9 hours ago, L00b said:

No. Russia’s. But you knew that. 😏

I know, I know…it’s a bit embarrassing to look at that Russian balance of trade, since it shows that the sanctions are working exactly to plan. Bad business for propagandists like you, that.

Working to plan.... Now that's a larf!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/02/russia-economic-war-ukraine-food-fuel-price-vladimir-putin

15 hours ago, geared said:

Does it require unilateral support to ban Russian oil and gas or will majority support work?

Several countries are quite reliant on Russia for gas and have not done much to replace this source, I can't see them happily backing a ban.  If a majority vote could force their hand, that would work better.

Neither, nor, as Russia is cutting supplies off (e.g. Germany (by 60%), fully to Netherlands, Finland and France most recently) to stop countries from stocking up before winter 22/23,  whilst gradually reducing production due to accidents/breakdowns and then lack of (western-) spares to fix (Urengoyskoye), wherein that ‘ban’ is being gradually put into place irrespective of ‘votes’ in western states, by Russia itself and the effect of sanctions.

Orban can continue being Putin’s little b*tch all he wants, very soon his constant obstructing to wider-ranging Russian oil/gas halting measures by the EU  will become redundant by natural attrition.

Edited by L00b

15 hours ago, trastrick said:

"Working exactly to plan?"

You mean the destruction, rape and slaughter in the Ukraine?

Paying the  Russian Totalitarians their inflated Fossil Fuel Prices, which the EU say they will end, at the end of the year, IF all their Members agree?

Financing Putin's war against Ukraine?.

(Must be a BidenWorld plan)  :)

Some people!

Your Schrödinger-esque worldview is wholly uninformed by factual developments (e.g. as recounted in my post immediately above, in relation to states getting cut off from Russian supply one after the other in recent weeks), and your continual misrepresentation of my points and strawmanning is tedious. Less tedious than your anti-Biden piling on, but tedious still.

It’s grown pointless trying to discuss Ukraine with you, so I won’t bother again. KTB.

Well the sanctions must be achieving something. Russia is reportedly running out of precision munitions due to the lack of imported electronic components. Several days ago I read an article regarding Lada’s new “sanction proof “car. It has no ABS or modern seat belt tech, presumably fuel injection and engine management will be the next to go so back to carburettors and a choke knob then. Putins nostalgia for the good old days playing out probably not as intended. As an aside I wonder what the traditional customers of Russian armaments are making of the poor performance of these products on a real battlefield.

13 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Several days ago I read an article regarding Lada’s new “sanction proof “car. It has no ABS or modern seat belt tech, presumably fuel injection and engine management will be the next to go so back to carburettors and a choke knob then.

The new car is a 2011 model Lada with many components missing, ABS, air bags, seatbelt pre-tensioners, anti-pollution systems and stereo/sat nav.

Little more than an engine, seats and wheels.

5 hours ago, geared said:

The new car is a 2011 model Lada with many components missing, ABS, air bags, seatbelt pre-tensioners, anti-pollution systems and stereo/sat nav.

Wow I’m sure that’s going to get the Russians flocking to trade in their western cars. It’ll be in good company though if the video of their van is anything to go by. UAZ I think it was, in production since the 60’s and featuring some of the lousiest welding I’ve ever seen.

6 hours ago, geared said:

Sounds like my father's Lada from 1983