Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Taoism (not talking about religious Taoism here) is practically the antithesis of modern day Chinese communism, exhibited by the CCP.

Anyone confusing the two is simply displaying their own ignorance. It’s a shame, but some people are just too dim to realise how dim they actually are.

Nobody but you mentioned Taoism  :)

It's "Confucianism is one of the most influential religious philosophies in the history of China, and it has existed for over 2,500 years. It is concerned with inner virtue, morality, and respect for the community and its values.Aug 19, 2020

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/confucianism/

Communism is a political idealogy.

Confusionism is a religious philosophy.

Confused much?  :)

Edited by trastrick

I thought this thread was about Ukraine and not China. You will never convince each other that the other person is wrong.

22 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Nobody but you mentioned Taoism  :)

Sun Tzu and Art of War, which was your original reference, is most closely associated with Taoism.

12 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I thought this thread was about Ukraine and not China. You will never convince each other that the other person is wrong.

People keep feeding the troll…

Edited by Waldo

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Sun Tzu and Art of War, which was your original reference, is most closely associated with Taoism.

What does Sun Tsu's ssociation with Taoism have to do with my statement?:

"Chinese philosophy hasn't change much in those 2,000 years. They've been around a long time, and intend to stay around for a lot longer."

Which philosophy is mostly used in Chinese society today?
Confucianism is one of the most influential religious philosophies in the history of China, and it has existed for over 2,500 years. It is concerned with inner virtue, morality, and respect for the community and its values.Aug 19, 2020

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/confucianism/

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting “

I don’t think that Putin read this bit.

I haven’t read the book either but like much philosophical wisdom there’s a quote for every occasion 

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

What does Sun Tsu's ssociation with Taoism have to do with my statement?:

Do you mean with this statement?...

Communists have a great aptitude for war. It was the Chinese General Sun Tzu who wrote the book on it almost 2,000 years ago.

Edited by Waldo

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Do you mean with this statement?...

Yep, but it would be helpful if you responded to the whole post, to give it context.

No matter.

What part do you disagree with?

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Yep, but it would be helpful if you responded to the whole post, to give it context.

No matter.

What part do you disagree with?

You are linking modern day communism (i.e. Chinese Communist Party style) with traditional Chinese philosophy, esp. Taoism.

The fundamental underlying ethos and principles of each, couldn't be further apart.

Yet you seem to be drawing parallels (which just don't exist) between the two. You may as well claim that modern day Germans all have the same mentality as the Nazis' because they happen to be in the same part of the world (though at different times) and are possibly descendants etc.

Hope that's clear.

Anyhoo. Let's get back on topic shall we.

Edited by Waldo

It seems Finland are likely to join NATO this year in response to this war, so if Putin was hoping to avoid having a land border with a NATO member by invading Ukraine, that's an 831 mile ballsup on his part, the ****head.

Edited by Delbow

19 hours ago, Waldo said:

You are linking modern day communism (i.e. Chinese Communist Party style) with traditional Chinese philosophy, esp. Taoism.

The fundamental underlying ethos and principles of each, couldn't be further apart.

Yet you seem to be drawing parallels (which just don't exist) between the two. You may as well claim that modern day Germans all have the same mentality as the Nazis' because they happen to be in the same part of the world (though at different times) and are possibly descendants etc.

Hope that's clear.

Anyhoo. Let's get back on topic shall we.

No I made it quite clear remember?

Here's what I posted.

Communism is a political idealogy.

Confusionism is a religious philosophy.

China is arguably the largest Communist Country, and its official religions are  Buddhism, Taoism, Catholicism, Protestantism, and Islam. In the early 21st century, there has been increasing official recognition of Confucianism and Chinese folk religion as part of China's cultural inheritance. - WIKI

You can have political affiliations, religious affiliations, and/or philosophical affiliations at the same time.

"Why Is Confucius Still Relevant Today? His Sound Bites Hold Up"

The Chinese philosopher still affects the lives of nearly a quarter of humanity. - National Geographic.

Anyway my main point that got lost, was that Western Governments must plan for the short term of their 4 year stint, (show the results now) while the communists can stay in power indefinitely and take the long view.

Hence they have more patience in achieving their geopolitical ends, incrementally.

Nothing to do with Hitler and the Nazis so let's move on?

Edited by trastrick

Confucius still relevant to the thread I think; he said, 'Do not impose on others what is not yours'

A glimmer of hope for the Ukrainian people?

Turkey's strongman and Trump pal, Erdogan is hosting peace talks between the Ukraine and Russia.

They appear to be making progress on the only logical and moral solution, a negotiated settlement.

Russia, Ukraine ‘close to agreement’ in negotiations, says Turkey.

"Turkey has said Russia and Ukraine made progress on their negotiations to halt the war and the two sides were “close to an agreement”.

"Russian forces invaded Ukraine on February 24 with President Vladimir Putin calling his country’s actions a “special operation” meant to demilitarise Ukraine and purge it of what he sees as dangerous nationalists. Ukraine and the West say Putin launched an aggressive war of choice".

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/20/turkey-says-russia-ukraine-close-to-agreement

Whatever!

This might not sit well with some who favour a fight to the death with Biden's mortal enemy, Putin, because "they are winning", and it leaves the U.S, and Britain out in the cold.

And of course the United Nations.  Are they still relevant? :)

Could Erdogan get a NOBEL, could Putin and Zelensky share one?

Edited by trastrick