Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

The UK has reviewed its latest response in support of Ukraine , We are going to start selling their beers in our pubs .

That will sort the Russians out .

19 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The UK has reviewed its latest response in support of Ukraine , We are going to start selling their beers in our pubs .

Stop it . Now is not the time 

Irish media reporting this morning that the Russian embassy in Dublin has asked the Irish govt to intervene, because companies have stopped delivering fuel to the embassy and they are on verge running out.

Not sure what they expect the Irish gvt to do, tbh: it has no powers to compel private companies to do anything, they are free to refuse their custom.

Also reports that Bank of Ireland has closed the embassy’s bank account.

😁👍🏻

18 hours ago, Jim117 said:

I doubt they would be POW’s, imagine their treatment if captured by Ukraine forces. 

By prisoners I meant people from Russian prisons.

4 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Calling the names from afar certainly won't do it!  :)

5 hours ago, Kidorry said:

By prisoners I meant people from Russian prisons.

I dunno, it depends how desperate they get I suppose. I have heard that the nazis had regiments composed of their own prisoners, I don’t know how true that is but towards the end they were shoving weapons in the hands of everyone from cripples to school boys.

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

Very true. Sending Ukraine the means to defend itself might however.

On 04/04/2022 at 17:27, trastrick said:

I was sincere. It's an abomination, a tragedy of war.

Which is why we should do everything to stop the carnage, NOW!

I'd rather see Zelensky lose power, than see civilians, women and children used as cannon fodder by politicians.

War is just diplomacy by other means!

the russians are rounding up and deporting civilians from occupied areas to remote cities in Russia. They are the lucky ones. Others are tortured to death.  

On 04/04/2022 at 20:45, L00b said:

The conscripts by and large are the guys running trucks in convoys, digging trenches in Donbas, and other menial / labour intensive jobs of the sort.

The regular soldiers are/were the front fighting units (VDV, etc) and reportedly 40% of them (at the total scale of Russian forces) are now pushing up sunflowers. This is beyond unsustainable level for a national army, Putin's offensive capacity is done for. This goes a long way to explain the retreat from everywhere but the LNR/DNR areas. Putin had 125-ish battle groups. Reportedly he's marshalling the last 10 from the Far East and sending them in now, then the cupboard's bare.

Anonymous (OSINT branch) today ID'd the Russian unit which occupied Bucha and have released the full details of every last member of that unit. Name, DOB, address, contact details, serial, etc. It looks like mostly 30-40 year olds, so that makes them regulars. These are now dead men walking, for the rest of their -hopefully, very short- lives.

If they survive the war and stay in Russia afterwards they will be just fine. There is no resistance in Russia that is going to go to their home address and take revenge.

21 hours ago, trastrick said:

Asking Putin for help with midterm elections is even less likely to do it. :)

• Haha 1

On 04/04/2022 at 17:27, trastrick said:

I was sincere. It's an abomination, a tragedy of war.

Which is why we should do everything to stop the carnage, NOW!

I'd rather see Zelensky lose power, than see civilians, women and children used as cannon fodder by politicians.

War is just diplomacy by other means!

This is just what Putin needs, posts appearing on British media supporting an end to Ukrainian resistance and so just in case Putin gets any comfort from this, this is not a British response, it is a foreign viewpoint from another continent.

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

the russians are rounding up and deporting civilians from occupied areas to remote cities in Russia. They are the lucky ones. Others are tortured to death.  

If they survive the war and stay in Russia afterwards they will be just fine. There is no resistance in Russia that is going to go to their home address and take revenge.

There were a few Germans who thought the same after WW2, then Mossad.

There were a few Serbs who thought the same after Srebrenica, then regime change locally in early 2000s and, lo and behold, suddenly they were delivered gift-wrapped to the ICTY.

’never’ is a looong time 😏

(moreover, quid of Russian ‘resistance’, do not underestimate the capacity of Ukrainian agents to infiltrate on bag-and-tag operations, nor their willingness)

Reportedly Putin is sending these Bucha guys right back into Donbas, so ‘if they survive the war’ is a massive ‘if’ indeed.

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

This is just what Putin needs, posts appearing on British media supporting an end to Ukrainian resistance and so just in case Putin gets any comfort from this, this is not a British response, it is a foreign viewpoint from another continent.

Lol

I doubt Putin checks out opinions on SF with his morning vodka.

Putin needs nothing from the West, except the incompetence and the weakness of their leadership, who he can intimidate and exploit,  with threats of nuclear war,  and bribery.

The U.S. allowed him to take over Ukrainian Crimea without a fight and have stated repeatedly, they will not intervene militarily with his latest aggression. He thtreatens Nukes, they threaten "more sanctions"  :)

As for bribery, Europe refused NATO membership to Ukraine, because they won't stop buying  Putin's Fossil Fuel Oil and Gas, which is largely financing his opportunistic aggression, even today, while hypoctically decrying the slaughter from afar.

An open invitation to any evil totalitarian tyrant to grab what he wants.

Recognizing such reality, is not in any way supporting Putin's agenda. Actually the opposite is true.

It's the "stooges" in the West that are standing by, helpless, and hoping they can "shame" the devil into giving up, going home, and going to some Western Court and excusing or apologizing for his war crimes, or stepping down, or being overthrown. Lol

While the Ukraine, and it's hapless civilians bear the real  pain and suffering, egged on by the cowards, warmongers, and arms merchants of today's West.

WW3 or a negotiated/enforced settlement is the only way out of this Catch 22.

Take yer pickl!

But don't leave it until there's nothing left to save.

The lesser of two evils, is to for the West to enforce a settlement on Zelensky.  Do it, NOW!

The Ukraine must committ to nuetrality (for now).

Geopolitical reality is that when  totaltarians and democracies share a common border, the only way out is a nuetral, or "de-militarized" border. By quirk of history, the Ukraine happens to occupy that position. Life is not fair.

If you have another solution, the World is listening.  :)

Edited by trastrick

Unfortunately negotiated settlements only ever come about after years of strife and even then resistance fights continue.

The will to resist Russia comes from the Ukrainian people .

Zelensky represents the determination of the people not to give up their independence and I see no sign from any Ukrainians to act differently.

An east /west split may eventually be the result,but how many enforced partitions around the world have provided a lasting solution.

I fear that some level of conflict will exist for a long time to come As is the case in many hot spots around the world.