Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

42 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

“Succour “  Just saying 😃

Thanks Hacks, it's been a long day!

1 hour ago, L00b said:

I’m failing to see how the world backed Putin into a corner. Perhaps you can expand?

wasnt Russia promised that if the Berlin wall came down then part of the agreement was the west wouldnt encroach one inch towards Russia, but slowly the west has been creeping towards their borders, Perhaps Putin felt he had to make a stand  and may have thought he was being backed into a corner?

10 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

wasnt Russia promised that if the Berlin wall came down then part of the agreement was the west wouldnt encroach one inch towards Russia, but slowly the west has been creeping towards their borders, Perhaps Putin felt he had to make a stand  and may have thought he was being backed into a corner?

Doesn’t explain how Putin, or Russia for that matter, were “backed into a corner”.

What corner?

The Berlin Wall came down in 1989. Russia became a democratic country in 1993.

NATO membership, EU membership, NAFTA membership, WTO membership…all of these memberships, and most such other international ‘clubs’, are accessive: democratic countries are free to seek them or not.

So, are you saying that ex-USSR countries, whence they became democracies themselves, should not have sought any such memberships, in case they upset the elected President of another democratic country?

Is that your point?

Edited by L00b

More than 100 Russian artists and animators, working together with musicians and sound designers, have created a series of short anti-war animations. Caution: some of the images might not be suitable for young children.

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

I wonder who on this forum actually supports Putin and his actions?

I asked that and was shouted down by those who support the war criminal Putin.

14 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

If the east wants to move west, then isn't it their democratic right to choose to do so?

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Doesn’t explain how Putin, or Russia for that matter, were “backed into a corner”.

What corner?

NATO membership, EU membership, NAFTA membership, WTO membership…all of these memberships and most others, are accessive: democratic countries are free to seek them or not.

So, are you saying that ex-USSR democratic countries should not have sought any such memberships, in case they upset the elected President of another democratic country?

Is that your point?

Im not saying anything, im just saying that is a view i have heard about how all this has escalated...

as i said, i understand Russia was given these assurances during the collapse of the USSR that their borders wouldnt be encroached upon by such countries joining nato etc, and they have...

2 minutes ago, Litotes said:

I asked that and was shouted down by those who support the war criminal Putin.

If the east wants to move west, then isn't it their democratic right to choose to do so?

I am not so sure, the Former USSR were given assurances that they wouldnt.... or so i believe, but  i stand to be corrected

OOH it just got serious, lol

11 minutes ago

Russia threatens to block Wikipedia

The federal censor says it will block the entire website — the largest and most-read reference work in history — because of the online encyclopedia’s entry for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine (the Russian authorities have outlawed this very phrase as a description of the war).

source - https://meduza.io/en/live/2022/02/27/russia-s-war-against-ukraine

I have no faith in Joe Biden doing anything. As President, he will make the final indecision. Repeatedly. 

He is more interested in Louisiana than Latvia. There are few Ukrainians in the US, their votes are negligible. So rhetoric yes, rifles no. 

Never mind, Hollywood will fix it. An ex-marine with chiselled features and perfect teeth will destroy a forty mile long armed convoy with just a pistol, roger the sultry interpreter, and restore democracy. Perhaps not in that orzder. 

49 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Thanks Hacks, it's been a long day!

:thumbsup: . By the way Putin gets no support from this right winger 

4 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

I have no faith in Joe Biden doing anything. As President, he will make the final indecision. Repeatedly. 

He is more interested in Louisiana than Latvia. There are few Ukrainians in the US, their votes are negligible. So rhetoric yes, rifles no. 

Never mind, Hollywood will fix it. An ex-marine with chiselled features and perfect teeth will destroy a forty mile long armed convoy with just a pistol, roger the sultry interpreter, and restore democracy. Perhaps not in that orzder. 

I didnt know the "sultry interpreter "  was called Roger 

Just discovered this youtube channel, US servicemen talking about the conflict, and talking about the strategy and how things are going right, and wrong

Edited by melthebell

Very chilling, this is a "could", Russia "could" use these mobile cremotoriums to burn evidence of any Russian casualties so they dont have to send the bodies back home