Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

Just now, El Cid said:

What should be our response if he did?

I have no idea all this is beyond me.  What do you think we should do?

4 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I have no idea all this is beyond me.  What do you think we should do?

One hopes that they have already planned all this already. But even if Putin withdrew today, sanctions would still be in place for weeks/months and cause havoc with world trade.

What happens when a country launches a nuke, can they be shot down without going off?

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

One hopes that they have already planned all this already. But even if Putin withdrew today, sanctions would still be in place for weeks/months and cause havoc with world trade.

What happens when a country launches a nuke, can they be shot down without going off?

Well I’m out of my depth on nukes being shot down.  But I thought the Americans were working on something that could destroy them, this was a few years ago when I read something about it.

Edited by hauxwell

4 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Well I’m out of my depth on nukes being shot down.  But I thought the Americans were working on something that could destroy them, this was a few years ago when I read something about it.

Boris was at the latest COBRA meeting, so at least he is taking it seriously.

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It depends on the type of nuke. Strategic ICBM's are probably 50/50 with the anti-missile technology out there however tactical nukes (smaller battlefield weapons) can be incorporated into a tank shell. That's not going to be shot down.

Edited by whiteowl

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

It can, they dont rely on chemical reactions and can be hard to detonate, but much depends on its detonation system, theres different types of warhead so you may get a smaller reaction.

Air bursts can be equally destructive depending on how far from the ground they explode, radioactive material would then populate the atmosphere and likely fall in rain, but the long term scenario is far better than a ground burst.

Edited by staninoodle

Guest makapaka

Have a drink have a laugh - we’re all gonna die to save Ukraine.

10 hours ago, pintor said:

Putin won't listen to anyone atm, he's doing what he wants,bully boy who needs taking out! Can't understand why one man has so much power 

He’s not one man it’s the ones behind him you need to worry about....

I doubt very much that Russia would use nukes against Ukraine or anyone else !!!...

Russia didn’t expect anybody putting up a fight against them and they have suffered losses which is why we are getting threatening  statements from Russia !!!...

Hope I’m wrong because the world doesn’t need another World War I would hope everyone would have learned a hard lesson from the last one !!!...

I think both sides have decided to have talks or planning to I hope this takes place and for everyone(Russia)to just take a step back !!!...

8 hours ago, L00b said:

This is a post of incredible ignorance, I’m afraid.

Just as you fell for the Brexit Kool Aid all those years ago, you’re falling for revisionist nonsense about Ukraine.

Who have you been listening to? Corbyn and Stop the War? Or Galloway?

A perfect illustration of why Western governments are at long last starting to take down Russia’s propaganda machine like RT, Sputnik and more. Years and years overdue.

You think we don't have our very own propaganda machine telling us what it thinks we want to hear?

And nobody will be using nukes.

Which is why we, and Nato, should have built up our arsenal of ordinary weapons and troops.

We have much better ways of destroying a country now;  bioweapons, cyber attacks, deprivation of utilities etc. 

Edited by Anna B

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

We have much better ways of destroying a country now;  bioweapons, cyber attacks, deprivation of utilities etc. 

Pity we don’t have more ways to do surgical pinpoint attacks on a country’s leaders and direct support network. Hurt them whichever way we can, and drive a wedge between them and the country’s people.

I imagine Putin will be starting to feel the pain, and see that the corrosive effect sanctions will have on their economy, that he is becoming even less popular at home. Also, in Ukraine, people hating him more, and warming to the west, who are showing them kindness and support.

Maybe Putin has seriously miscalculated? Could be desperate for a negotiated settlement that doesn’t make him look weak (it’s all about his ego).

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

Have a drink have a laugh - we’re all gonna die to save Ukraine.

I have also got a lot of negative thoughts at the moment.  We  have definitely got some worrying days ahead of us but we have to be positive and hope sense prevails.

2 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I have also got a lot of negative thoughts at the moment.  We  have definitely got some worrying days ahead of us but we have to be positive and hope sense prevails.

Laying in bed in your pitch black bedroom listening to German bombers flying over you is war, we ain’t seen nothing yet.