What Is It With The 20% Increases On Food?

typically, 2kilo's for 19p, around major bank holidays

Edited by fools

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

Aldi selling large individual baking potatoes for 19p each (up from 15p) but add a topping and still a cheap meal.

Only 16p at our Local Aldi this morning Anna.

Depending on how much fuel you'd have to put in the car, probably wouldn't be cost effective making the trip over  🤣.

Keep safe - eat well 8) .

The other week Asda increased the price of their baked beans by 10%, I  bought some today and they have gone up by over 9%. I also got their "Big eat Rolls", they haven't gone up in price but look smaller than they used to be.

Edited by iansheff

Made a bread and butter pudding yesterday to use up some left over bread. I didn't want to heat up the big oven so tried it in the hot air fryer, (best bit of kit I've bought usually, can do allsorts.) Bit of a disaster this time, burnt on top and raw at the bottom, still ate it though. Finished it off in the microwave.

On 17/05/2022 at 12:56, iansheff said:

The other week Asda increased the price of their baked beans by 10%, I  bought some today and they have gone up by over 9%. I also got their "Big eat Rolls", they haven't gone up in price but look smaller than they used to be.

Yep, good old shrinkflation.

Bought some coffee yesterday, price has increased and the amount now cut from 200g to 190g. Need to be watchful in ASDA as well as I had to query 2 items whose prices on the shelves were cheaper than what I was charged. Just wonder how many people check their receipts these days.

On 20/05/2022 at 14:53, Dromedary said:

Yep, good old shrinkflation.

Bought some coffee yesterday, price has increased and the amount now cut from 200g to 190g. Need to be watchful in ASDA as well as I had to query 2 items whose prices on the shelves were cheaper than what I was charged. Just wonder how many people check their receipts these days.

Asda made a big fuss about the 100 items with fixed prices, nothing about the large increases, I got a block of cheese the other week, I think it was £2 or £2.10 now £2.50. Just looking at my bill and their own wholemeal bread has gone up almost 17% since last Tuesday.

I always check my receipt, a few weeks back I got something off the whoops, think it was 99p. When  I was checking my bill I was being charged nearly £3 for meat and I hadn't bought any, the "meat" was the item off the whoops at 99p so went straight to customer services who refunded the difference.

I try to keep an eye on the till as they scan the items but it is not always easy.

Edited by iansheff

Bargain of the day packs of Becks Blue (non alcoholic) 40p for 4 bottles.

Still in date, local CO-OP.

Don't all rush out, Daughter bought all 4 packs for us.

Not a bad lass :thumbsup:.

This may be a politically incorrect fact to bring up, but part of the reason for the huge inflation we are experiencing must be the increase in the minimum wage from £8.91 p/h (2021) to £9.50 p/h (2022). By my maths that's a 6.6% rise.

Don't get me wrong, shutting down much of the world's economy for months on end had a far bigger impact, but that 6.6% rise MUST have helped push inflation up. It is impossible for that not to be the case.

Pumping Billions into the economy from 2008 onwards (Quantatitive Easing) has had a far greater effect to cause inflation, but bearly gets a mention.

Minimum wage has to rise to keep up with inflation or people starve/ freeze to death/ become homeless. It's a chicken and egg situation.

One of the problems IMO is that pay rises are always in percentages, say 2.5% across the board.

2.5% of the lowest paid is peanuts, and hardly worth having, but 2.5% of those already extremely well renumerated is a lot of money going to those who need it least, and also pushes up inflation. And the gap grows. 

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

This may be a politically incorrect fact to bring up, but part of the reason for the huge inflation we are experiencing must be the increase in the minimum wage from £8.91 p/h (2021) to £9.50 p/h (2022). By my maths that's a 6.6% rise.

Don't get me wrong, shutting down much of the world's economy for months on end had a far bigger impact, but that 6.6% rise MUST have helped push inflation up. It is impossible for that not to be the case.

No MUST about it. When the minimum wage was first introduce there were many scare stories that it would push prices up and also cause unemployment but the evidence since shows it had very little effect with increased prices and no effect on unemployment. That is still fairly true with the increases in minimum wage, except for some areas involving small takeaway businesses.

26 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Pumping Billions into the economy from 2008 onwards (Quantatitive Easing) has had a far greater effect to cause inflation, but bearly gets a mention.

It never gets a mention because its just propaganda and not actually true.

Edited by Dromedary

24 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

No MUST about it. When the minimum wage was first introduce there were many scare stories that it would push prices up and also cause unemployment but the evidence since shows it had very little effect with increased prices and no effect on unemployment. That is still fairly true with the increases in minimum wage, except for some areas involving small takeaway businesses.

No, it really must.

Prices are set by supply v demand.

Where do you think all the money was coming from to pay the increased wages ?

Increased prices.

If you increase wages without a corresponding increase in productivity that cause inflation.

That inflation may have been kept low by years of importing cheap goods from China, but it has been there all the time. 

It is certainly 

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

No, it really must.

Prices are set by supply v demand.

Where do you think all the money was coming from to pay the increased wages ?

Increased prices.

If you increase wages without a corresponding increase in productivity that cause inflation.

That inflation may have been kept low by years of importing cheap goods from China, but it has been there all the time. 

It is certainly not just increased wages that has caused the current spike in prices.Fuel costs leading to production and transport costs are at the root of the problem.

There will be reduced demand for the non essential items as most people will have to economise one way or the other to enjoy the basics of a place to live,food to eat and fuel as required.

Watch out for swimming pool closures or colder water.