The jury service queries thread

I am down for jury service on the 13th September. A colleague didn't get one trial in her two weeks but she is blonde.

im interested in doing jury and would just like to to know some peoples personals experiences participating in jury duty

You cant just choose to do jury duty

its crapmate i had to do it a few years ago ,i was working in london and earning greatmoney got out of it for a few weeks but had to go in end couldnt claim half what i was earning

Indeed, because they don't want the sort of people who would volunteer.

i did iy many years ago and, as much as you can do, I enjoyed the experience and really hope that I get sent for again one day!

Indeed, because they don't want the sort of people who would volunteer.

Famously juries are made up of 'housewives, pensioners and the unemployed'. People who have other stuff to do tend to wriggle out of it. I got called for jury duty last year and just ignored the letter. I never heard from them again.

If I had gone and done the jury duty I would have lost out big time financially as their compensation for loss of earnings is pathetic.

yea but iv read loads of times they pay your full wages(what you earn at work) i just thought it would be a good experience for me if i got picked

I did jury duty at Sheffield crown court in 2007. The case involved two shootings by different people with the same gun. I found it fascinating. It opened up my eyes to the reality of life in certain parts of sheffield.

yea but iv read loads of times they pay your full wages(what you earn at work) i just thought it would be a good experience for me if i got picked

They do pay a good allowance, but there is a ceiling to it. I did not lose anything because my employer made my salary up, but then, I was on a good salary. If you are on a low salary you could be better off.

Your work may pay you your full wages. If they don't, the court pays loss of earnings at daily rate up to a salary equivalent of just over £17,000. If your annual salary is more than this, you would be out of pocket.

It is an academic discussion though, you can't volunteer and many people never receive a summons.