The Punch Bowl Gleadless Common .

The first pub I ever went in was the Punch on the Common ,or the Punch Bowl on Gleadless Common to give it its proper name ' .

Not as a customer may I add but as a ten yearold around 1953 ish .

The land lord at the time had a couple of kids who were around my age and I got to know them due to me taking empty's back so as to claim the penny or tuppence one recieved for the return of the bottles that had contained stout , beer or pop , never lager it had not been heard of then.

Any way getting back to the pub its self , I was invited in one rainy day and I was amazed by the vastness of the place , The massive concert room with the piano and drums on a stage set at the end , the tap room with its iron tables on which stood crib boards ,cigerette ash trays and beer mats ,in this room you could actually smell the smoke and beer  ,a smell that remains with me to this day .

Then the jewel in the crown , The best room or the loungue , I had never before seen any room as regal as this one , the Oak panel walls and doors with shiny brass handles at least three foot long , the Chrystal glass divides on the bar ,all this topped of by the bright red  upholstered  plush seating and chairs along with matching red carpet so thick I could feel my bare feet sink into it .

So the pub became our play ground , running from room to room , through swing and  revolving doors , playing hide and seek ,

I never gave a thought at that time that in just 8 years or so I would be back through those doors to watch jazz bands , skiffle groups and dodgy commedians on the concert room stage , or play cards and dominoes with the mesters inthe tap room , and the creme de la creme taking a girl friend for a babycham in the opulent lounge ,

All these rooms lead me from one innocent time into another , Times that along with smells stay with you even now in the fading light of later years .

Must have a trip up there soon and see if the old girl has aged same as me .

Edited by cuttsie

A late friend of mine (then a young woman in her twenties) used to sing on the stage there around that time.

I rember the Jazz nights best of all , Us lot from the Crescent were very impressed with the slightly upper class clientel that attended those nights , the little sports cars MG's  Triumphs and so on , The blokes dressed in tweeds and cravats who seemed to be acompanied by smart looking lasses in hats and slacks , we could only dream of cars like that and we wouldn't get a glance from the jazzy women but we could dream .

Best about it the Pub was on the edge of the Arbourthorne but there never seemed to be any trouble among the mix of clientel at that time .

Some of the best pubs were in areas categorised as being  ‘rough’. They tended to have landlords/landlady’s that didn’t suffer fools gladly, along with regulars that could handle themselves. The knock on effect of this was that pubs in classy/rural areas used to get some of the wannabe tough guys, it could be quite amusing to see them having a crack at a local farmer who had been working on the land all day slinging bales of hay around that the wannabe couldn’t even lift, ouch!!!

I had my favoured ‘town’ pubs, most don’t exist anymore, albeit they would most probably not be appreciated these days, it was people that made them, perhaps they are making people differently.

I thought it had been demolished. I remember only going in once, but my aunt lived on the Common so  would pass it often.

20 minutes ago, Minimo said:

I thought it had been demolished. I remember only going in once, but my aunt lived on the Common so  would pass it often.

Nope, still there. I haven't been in for about 15 years now, but I pass it every day on my way home from work. Used to go in 3 times a week - general knowledge quiz on Tuesdays, music quiz on Wednesdays, then they'd usually have a singer on on a Saturday night. Still had the main room with the stage, lounge and games room with snooker and pool tables and a dart board back then. I think now they've turned the lounge part into a dining area.

My rare visits to back to Sheffield would not be complete without a pint in the Punch Bowl. So many memories there.

Friday night paydays,1959ish,  were fixtures for me and the wife to be.

The little band would come on at 8,  They had drums, a guitarist, a piano and a young front man singer. The routine was always the same. They'd start up with "We're gonna teach you to rock" and introduce each player to do his solo bit.

One memory stands out. Next door to us on Hartopp Road, they had this knockout daughter a couple of years older than me. When I was 16 or so I would watch her older boyfriends come and pick her up  and she would always smile at me and say hello. My heart would pound. She just knew I was madly in love with her.

Fast forward to 1975. On a trip back, I was in the Punch Bowl with Ma and the wife. Ma pointed over there and said there's so and so, remember her? Of course I did, but hardly recognized her as she had packed on the meat.

But I went over and said hello, she remembered me with a smile and said you always liked me didn't you. I said yep, you've no idea how much I wanted you.

In her broad Sheffield way, she laughed and said, Well, you can have me now, luv!  :)

I bought her a pint, and returned to our table. Who was that? said the GF.

I said I just tied up a loose end in my life.

Edited by trastrick

Good in trastric. reminds me of a song .I knew you were in love with her. Because I saw you dancing in the gym. You both kicked of your shoes and sang those rythem and blues. Get dafter don't we.

Edited by cuttsie

I knew a lass on Hartopp ,she was a ballet dancer called Jacki .She was a knockout looker as.well as dresser. I tried my  hand but got the knock back .She was courting a big kid who worked in a office . Served her reeiight.

I knew Jaqui well she was my cousin Shirly Morris's best pal. We lived at 24, and she lived at 20.

She was a smasher, but wasn't she a bit old for you?

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

I knew Jaqui well she was my cousin Shirly Morris's best pal. We lived at 24, and she lived at 20.

She was a smasher, but wasn't she a bit old for you?

yes but I have always gone for the more mature lady , and she  was like a fine wine stood on the Manor Top waiting for that big heeeeard who worked in an office .