O2 Academy

Anyone seen a gig there recently? Will I be able to get a half decent beer? (I know it`ll be expensive!)

I'm going to a gig there tonight - can update tomorrow! ☺️

1 hour ago, SFBeca said:

I'm going to a gig there tonight - can update tomorrow! ☺️

Can you ask them to sort out their external RGB lighting and signage?

The O2 Academy sign is only half lit

The building is an eyesore and looks so run down 

Im surprised O2 are happy to have their brand associated with it

Have you been to any others? Went to the o2 in millennium stadium in December and it was £7.50 a pint with the only option Budweiser... not too fussed if the sign isn't fully lit outside if you can get a decent beer and good gig inside!

3 hours ago, jemson said:

Anyone seen a gig there recently? Will I be able to get a half decent beer? (I know it`ll be expensive!)

Going on recent untappd checkins, your options are shipyard, maxim or San Miguel. So no, you won't. 

Never been any decent beer whenever I've been. Expensive, poor quality and in a 'plastic' rather than a glass. 

Terrible views in both rooms. Overall poor facilities. It would be better bulldozed and a proper standing-only gig venue built instead. With a decent size capacity, raking floor so everyone can see - and nice beers. 

Acoustics are dreadful. Sound is bouncing all over the place. I won't ever go again to see a band there, after once seeing The Specials there.

I've always found if you stand in the "open" area the sound is ok, under the low ceiling its awful, the drink options are poor.

15 hours ago, top4718 said:

I've always found if you stand in the "open" area the sound is ok, under the low ceiling its awful, the drink options are poor.

That's right, if you're in front of the pillars it's acceptable. The trouble is the capacity includes the areas under the low ceiling so some people always end up there unless it's a small crowd. Upstairs, unless you are right next to the balcony rail (so that's one person-deep), you can't see anything. So basically loads of punters end up with a crap view and poor sound.

The small room upstairs is even worse. Poor views, poor sound.

The whole place is a joke and the joke is on us the mugs buying the tickets.

1 hour ago, Bilge said:

That's right, if you're in front of the pillars it's acceptable. The trouble is the capacity includes the areas under the low ceiling so some people always end up there unless it's a small crowd. Upstairs, unless you are right next to the balcony rail (so that's one person-deep), you can't see anything. So basically loads of punters end up with a crap view and poor sound.

The small room upstairs is even worse. Poor views, poor sound.

The whole place is a joke and the joke is on us the mugs buying the tickets.

It's not my favourite venue I must admit its a very tired looking building too.