Are different martial arts better for different body shapes/types?

Hi,

I have a question for you all you martial artisits. I was wondering if in your opinion, different styles are better for different body types. I am 6"2 and about 13,5 stone, so I am never sure whether I would be better suited to a more grappling based style (judo, ju-jitsu) or a more striking based art such as karate or TKD. Any ideas/opinions, would be much appreciated.

Cheers ; )

your probably not suited for judo (but that's a sport anyway). Anything else you should be fine with.

(You could be fine with Judo, but most people who do well in competitions are short and stocky).

Interresting question. What Ive found is body type has little to do with abilities to practice a style. More importantly is the students ability to be dilligent in practice, injury recovery rate and injury location and very importantly is how the student views or what they expect to achieve in a style, does it suit there personality.

Originally posted by Redrooster

Interresting question. What Ive found is body type has little to do with abilities to practice a style. More importantly is the students ability to be dilligent in practice, injury recovery rate and injury location and very importantly is how the student views or what they expect to achieve in a style, does it suit there personality.

ppfffttttt, looser...

i like striking martial arts best for anything, to tell the truth those like hand locks and stuff dont really work on big ol crack monsters, take something like mauy thai or kickboxing.

You realise you didn't even attempt to answer the question.

Nobody wanted to know what "you liked best for anything".

Originally posted by Redrooster

Some good points there Redrooster ... I wouldn't say you're the 'looser' on this thread.

Originally posted by matt8282

Hi,

I have a question for you all you martial artisits. I was wondering if in your opinion, different styles are better for different body types. I am 6"2 and about 13,5 stone, so I am never sure whether I would be better suited to a more grappling based style (judo, ju-jitsu) or a more striking based art such as karate or TKD. Any ideas/opinions, would be much appreciated.

Cheers ; )

I would also take into account what your objects are (reasons for taking up a martial art).

Try out several that you feel you may be suited to you and then take it from there ...

As redrooster said, it is about what suits your personality. But it may not just be the style, one club may suit your personality better than another in the same style.

People always seem to talk about styles 'grappling' or 'striking' or 'kicking' what about styles that do all of that?

We have quite a wide range of body types in Taijutsu, and with each individual body type comes different strengths and weaknesses. Yeah, a short stockier person maybe better at throwing, but it doesn't mean that a tall person can’t throw :-)

I agree with Jamie, try several till you find something you like.