Car Number Plate

My car needs a new number plate. I am looking for suggestions of any place that replaces car number plates at a good price.

Also, does anyone have an idea of how much these normally cost?

An online search gives an unusually wide range of prices without actually explaining why the more expensive options are better, and they also give the option of "adhesive pads to fix the plates" or "drilling the plates". Any advice would be appreciated.

Plates are usually drilled, the adhesive pads can come unstuck, then your plate can fall off.  Lots of places online will make the plates, for you to install yourself obviously.

I think Halfords still make plates, and offer an install service for a small fee.  You'll need ID and your V5 to get them made up.

Edited by geared

3 minutes ago, geared said:

Plates are usually drilled, the adhesive pads can come unstuck, then your plate can fall off.  Lots of places online will make the plates, for you to install yourself obviously.

I think Halfords still make plates, and offer an install service for a small fee.  You'll need ID and your V5 to get them made up.

Halfords makes plates, £10 per plate.

£5 per plate for fitting.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Halfords makes plates, £10 per plate.

£5 per plate for fitting.

Just had a look online, it's £16.25 now with an extra £5 for fitting, if needed.

The Halfords offer gets my vote it looks very reasonable.

I had my number plates ripped off my car outside my daughters house, they were stuck on, only took a few seconds for him to rip them off. I was advised by police to have them screwed on. Went to Halfords got new ones but they just stuck them on. I didn't want same thing to happen again so talked to my local garage and they screwed them on free for me. When I got a new car insisted they screwed number plates on.

10 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Just out of curiosity (I don't need number plates), I see Jepson's are located on East Bank Road, have they always been there, or once somewhere else ?

6 hours ago, St Petre said:

Just out of curiosity (I don't need number plates), I see Jepson's are located on East Bank Road, have they always been there, or once somewhere else ?

They've been there as long as I remember, which is 60+ years. IIRC, that was their original location.

Thanks all, went to Halfords and got it all sorted for £21 (£16 for the plate, £5 for fitting)

Professional job overall.

Took off the original plate for size, prepared the new one which comes with a sticky side and that was then screwed on.