Council Tax: Never Get Through To Advisers.

As above, i wanted to urgently speak to a council tax officer, to try to get new code, so i can pay some arrears, i got cut off six times, speaking to reception, was advised that is normal procedure, as it gets cut off after a certain amount of calls enter the system.

All i can say is SCC please sort this out,  how can we sort out arrears if people cant speak to you.

"Please enter your 8-digit Council Tax reference, which starts with an 8 or 7, here "

you need a code, i cant find mine, that is what i am ringing to ask for.

Edited by gamezone07

1 hour ago, gamezone07 said:

"Please enter your 8-digit Council Tax reference, which starts with an 8 or 7, here "

you need a code, i cant find mine, that is what i am ringing to ask for.

Do you have your council tax bill ?  It's on there, top right hand corner, it's  the acccount number.

I think if you register for an online council tax account, once it's setup you can get your reference number from there

1 hour ago, Zarniwoop said:

Do you have your council tax bill ?  It's on there, top right hand corner, it's  the acccount number.

Its also the reference they take Direct Debits under, if the OP has had a DD set up with them.

ok tx, i just took the phone option for having an injunction over me! still had to wait 30 mins though

19 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

As above, i wanted to urgently speak to a council tax officer, to try to get new code, so i can pay some arrears, i got cut off six times, speaking to reception, was advised that is normal procedure, as it gets cut off after a certain amount of calls enter the system.

All i can say is SCC please sort this out,  how can we sort out arrears if people cant speak to you.

Just dont pay it and theyll soon send you a letter demanding payment

Its the one thing SCC are very efficient at 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

They don't want just the basic council tax. They want all those lovely non-payment charges too. 

About 10 years ago I had a property in Sheffield, filled in all the forms for the tax then wondered, why after 3 month that they'd not taken any direct debits (I still held the money). Weeks of trying to get it sorted until one day a county court summons dropped on the mat. 

Now I had them. I had a full diary of call logs, recordings of calls (they were legally notified) and copies of the initial paperwork sent to SCC.

Had my day in court and the judge thew out their claim of non-payment as I clearly had made 'excessive attempts to pay despite SCC's refusal to take the payments'. 
I offered to pay the outstanding, original amounts which the court accepted however they ordered SCC to pay my costs (time off work) & compensate me for the time I had spent trying to contact and resolve the issue, which ironically the judge calculated at the exact cost of the outstanding tax balance ;) 

The SCC representative looked absolutely apopletic at losing the case but the 10  or so defendants in the waiting room probably got him some money back. 

Bit of a long story relating to a second property but in summary. They owed me a refund but never informed me if it had been repaid. (into my council tax account). I couldn't access online on that account as they had blocked it. It needed a code to unlock it. Had to call to check if refund had been paid into my account. 

45 minutes to get through and all she was looking for was any excuse to close the call. Arrogant "I'm doing you a favour" attitude.

I hate this ruling council with a passion. 

Its been a very macho council, though it has had its fubding savaged by central Govt, maybe now its a labour/green coalition, it may become a bit more user friendly.