Wigfalls Fire.

I was in the betting shop next door when they came in and evacuated us from the building.

We stood across the road watching the flames coming out of the roof.

May be an image of 2 people and outdoors

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

What year was the fire Alex?

I think it was 1984.....

I think the Classic cinema in Fitzalan Square burned down just a few months earlier.  Definitely 1984.

30 minutes ago, Mister M said:

What year was the fire Alex?

21/05/1984 according to this…

I’ve seen this picture before and we’re pretty sure in the family that the guy in the shirt operating the pump controls is my dad.

3 hours ago, Alextopman said:

I think it was 1984.....

Thanks

I was at the 60 bus stop on the other side of the square.

The windows became obscured by smoke and then smoke appeared from the back.

One fire engine appeared in the square and the firemen appeared to be trying to find the seat of the fire.

They then spent some time were trying to smash the windows without success.

A few of us moved two motorbikes out of the way. One bike and a cycle were padlocked. 

It was then that we felt the heat and the flames became very visible inside and more fire engines arrived and we were un-ceremonially ushered away.

I know it was a weekday but I am less sure of the time. As the firemen could not get I assume it was early evening.

I have heard the tales of fire damaged goods, but from what I saw the fire, heat and smoke would have destroyed most things.

My friends son Sean Buckley was working there , lucky to get out Ok with minor burns and scorched clothing.

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

One fire engine appeared in the square and the firemen appeared to be trying to find the seat of the fire.

A few of us moved two motorbikes out of the way. One bike and a cycle were padlocked. 

It was then that we felt the heat and the flames became very visible inside and more fire engines arrived and we were un-ceremonially ushered away.

I know it was a weekday but I am less sure of the time. As the firemen could not get I assume it was early evening.

I have heard the tales of fire damaged goods, but from what I saw the fire, heat and smoke would have destroyed most things.

Hope you said hello to Jim117's dad 🤣 .

While we're at it.

Any one of you knowledgeable people out there remember the celling of the ( old) Gaumont cinema collapsing and what year?

Looked on't internet with no luck.

26 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

We stood opposite after we were cleared out of the betting shop, we must have been close to you, the flames very quickly spread and came through the roof of Wigfalls and then the betting shop.

10 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

We stood opposite after we were cleared out of the betting shop, we must have been close to you, the flames very quickly spread and came through the roof of Wigfalls and then the betting shop.

Yes-I saw your earlier post.

Can you remember what time it was.