Film Editing Software - Subtitles

I wonder if anyone can recommend me a editing software programme that I can use. 

I don't really need to do much actual film editing (just chopping bits)

However, the main purpose is for subtitles. Do anyone have any recommendations or knowledge that they can share please?

I use the free video editing software that comes with windows 10.

There are several tutorials on YouTube!

2 hours ago, Norbert said:

OpenShot works for me.

Have a look in the online user guide for details about the subtitling

https://www.openshot.org/en/

Thanks for the response, I'll check this tomorrow.

2 hours ago, zaci said:

I use the free video editing software that comes with windows 10.

There are several tutorials on YouTube!

Yes, I used to just use win video (or whatever it was called), the new one is ok, I've tried it, but all the subtitle options aren't what I want. 

The best option is the shaded bar with ability to write... BUT, it every time drops from the screen to show the next one + it takes absolutely ages! and if you make a mistake, and change an early subtitle timing, it changes all the following ones... , and this is intolerable (or at best, hugely time consuming!! haha)

I am wanting to translate things, and although the banner is what I want, it just doesn't work. 

'll give you an example of what I need. (would like), don't worry about the content, look at the subtitles...

Edited by *_ash_*

On 27/01/2022 at 00:43, *_ash_* said:

Thanks for the response, I'll check this tomorrow.

Yes, I used to just use win video (or whatever it was called), the new one is ok, I've tried it, but all the subtitle options aren't what I want. 

The best option is the shaded bar with ability to write... BUT, it every time drops from the screen to show the next one + it takes absolutely ages! and if you make a mistake, and change an early subtitle timing, it changes all the following ones... , and this is intolerable (or at best, hugely time consuming!! haha)

I am wanting to translate things, and although the banner is what I want, it just doesn't work. 

'll give you an example of what I need. (would like), don't worry about the content, look at the subtitles...

Have you tried Da Vinci Resolve before. The free version is rich in features and after you are over the initial learning curve, it’s pretty easy to use. 

Youtube will be your best bet for tutorials, here’s an example, hope it helps you on your quest:

2 hours ago, compxsheffsouth said:

Have you tried Da Vinci Resolve before. The free version is rich in features and after you are over the initial learning curve, it’s pretty easy to use. 

Youtube will be your best bet for tutorials, here’s an example, hope it helps you on your quest:

Hi compx, 

I tried this. I think this might have been one that I got to work, but it put a huge advert over all the work I did, unless i paid. 

I don't mind paying... don't get me wrong, but it didn't tell me this. 

I could be wrong. 

Do you know how to use this software? AND put complex subtitles on?

I don't need to edit videos much, so that side I can even do for now on win10 video photo thing. 

But I need to do 3 times subtitles + and add things like the film example, where I can put bubbles on the screen that show certain phrases, etc.

If you are good on this software and can show me, I don't mind paying you to show me how to use it. 

Have a try of Magix Movie Edit Pro it has a free trial and seems to do subtitles as well now. I used an older version in the past which didn't do them and found it fairly easy to use. Several tutorials on youtube etc as well. The free full version I believe is limited to just 3 minute clips but should give you a taste.

https://www.magix.com/int/video-editor/movie-edit-pro/

You can buy it outright or just have a 12 month subscription.

22 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Hi compx, 

I tried this. I think this might have been one that I got to work, but it put a huge advert over all the work I did, unless i paid. 

I don't mind paying... don't get me wrong, but it didn't tell me this. 

I could be wrong. 

Do you know how to use this software? AND put complex subtitles on?

I don't need to edit videos much, so that side I can even do for now on win10 video photo thing. 

But I need to do 3 times subtitles + and add things like the film example, where I can put bubbles on the screen that show certain phrases, etc.

If you are good on this software and can show me, I don't mind paying you to show me how to use it. 

Unfortunately I don’t have the availability at the moment, but I’m happy to help if you have any specific questions. Good luck with your project. 

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Have a try of Magix Movie Edit Pro it has a free trial and seems to do subtitles as well now. I used an older version in the past which didn't do them and found it fairly easy to use. Several tutorials on youtube etc as well. The free full version I believe is limited to just 3 minute clips but should give you a taste.

https://www.magix.com/int/video-editor/movie-edit-pro/

You can buy it outright or just have a 12 month subscription.

I've had a look, thanks for the suggestion. It looks as difficult as others unfortunately. 😪

19 minutes ago, compxsheffsouth said:

Unfortunately I don’t have the availability at the moment, but I’m happy to help if you have any specific questions. Good luck with your project. 

Thanks compx! 

Yeah, the davinci one I tried again, but what I found is if you make a typo/time mistake, it's near impossible to change, because if you add a second or so to a subtitles,. it messes up all the following ones! 

I can't believe how hard it is to find subtitling software! hahaha

Alternatives?  On a computer VLC video player can use srt subtitle files from places like opensubtitle.org.  Also you can install the plex server on a pc and the Plex client on a smart TV and that has subtitle support.  However it can be real hit and miss finding a subtitle file with all the timings correct.

eta: Handbrake lets you do add subtitle files.

https://bunnystudio.com/blog/handbrake-subtitles-a-complete-guide-for-first-time-users/

Edited by RabM

I was looking at editing a Lupus foundation video that didn't have subtitles for hard of hearing - I stumbled on a tutorial about using Google Docs.

thanks for the suggestions. 

I can't use anything that predicts, as I want it for translation purposes. 

😢

Everything is so complicated these days! 

I did this perfectly well on basic software in the past! haha! Now is all so complex!