The Decade The Rich Won.

If you want to know why we're in the mess we're in now, I suggest you watch this programme on now, or watch it on iplayer.

'THE  DECADE  THE RICH  WON.'    BBC2   9'0pm Tuesday 25th January 2022

There's no excuse for not knowing this stuff anymore.

Edited by Anna B

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

If you want to know why we're in the mess we're in now, I suggest you watch this programme on now, or watch it on iplayer.

No thanks 

Then you wish to remain wilfully blind to what's going on.

So I have nothing to say to you.

33 minutes ago, Anna B said:

People voted and they got a coalision Government, a Tory Government on its own would have been worse.

That is what we have now, people voted to give Johnson a massive majority.

Most of this 'rich getting richer' is a very small minority, I had shares in RBS, ordinary shareholders lost out. It took 5 years for the stock market to recover, so it wasnt all rosey.

Its QE that helped the rich, Labour would have used QE too, but there are other ways to help the poor.

We all want the stock market to do well, for our pensions and investments.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Thats cool Anna . I just get fed up at reading  lots of threads on here where you shoehorn in your political views . Nothing is sacred 

Part 1 takes us up to the Referendum.

I assume Part 2 is on next week, which is a shame as it would be better if it followed the day after. 

However it will give people a chance to catch it on iplayer.

Clear and very informative. Everyone, even those not interested in politics should watch it.

Then they might see what happens when you think elections are just about putting a cross in a box once every 5 years without any more consideration than that. 

You're choices should at least be informed choices.

I was going to post that, if we had a decent left, not one that focuses just on identity politics, there would have been a much more robust response, and maybe brexit wouldn't have happened as people would have felt someone was on their side.

Btw, Sheffield is still largely a left/liberal wing city, doesn't seem reflected on here.

People are going to become much more aware of the divisions when April comes, with huge price rises across the board.

Edited by gamezone07

7 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

I was going to post that, if we had a decent left, not one that focuses just on identity politics, there would have been a much more robust response, and maybe brexit wouldn't have happened as people would have felt someone was on their side.

The number of votes for Labour and the Liberal Democrats amounted to 52% of the votes, but they didnt have enough MPs to form a Government. Our voting system is flawed.

Edited by El Cid

25 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What makes you so certain the programme has any information which people don't already know.

Rich people = bad. Corporations = evil. ....Heard it all before Anna.

Pound to a penny it's was same hysterical talking heads, opinions and over dramatised guff that's been talked about, documented and reported on many times before.

Businesses making obscene profits. Human beings looking after number one and getting one over their rivals.  Rich people v poor people.......    Circumstances that existed from year dot.  Shock horror. I chose not to watch either.   This is not a new subject that I feel needed to be regurgitated about.

Emotive television with a nicely timed scheduling just as the supposedly evil Tories and controversial leader are facing attack.

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Rich people are more likely to have homes in more than one country. If we tried to tax them too much, they would move their assets abroad.

Tax the big companies more, like Morrisons or Vodaphone, their prices will increase. Tax them less and we can increase the minimum wage, its a ballance. I believe the Johnson Government would be worse than the Cameron Government.

Hopefully, Johnson will be history soon.

15 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Rich people are more likely to have homes in more than one country. If we tried to tax them too much, they would move their assets abroad.

Tax the big companies more, like Morrisons or Vodaphone, their prices will increase. Tax them less and we can increase the minimum wage, its a ballance. I believe the Johnson Government would be worse than the Cameron Government.

Hopefully, Johnson will be history soon.

With the exception of the last line I agree with that. There does have to be a balance and it is a very difficult position to judge. It is something that takes some great skill and cooperation from all sides to achieve. That goes well beyond the simplistic, meaningless and far too often used soundbites like "tax the rich" or "blame the bankers" or "people before profit"  bandied about by point scoring politicians and moronic protest groups.

Edited by ECCOnoob

26 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What makes you so certain the programme has any information which people don't already know.

Pound to a penny it's was same hysterical talking heads, opinions and over dramatised guff that's been talked about, documented and reported on many times before.

Businesses making obscene profits. Human beings looking after number one and getting one over their rivals.  Rich people v poor people.......    Circumstances that existed from year dot.  Shock horror. I chose not to watch either.   This is not a new subject that I feel needed to be regurgitated about.

Emotive television with a nicely timed scheduling just as the supposedly evil Tories and controversial leader are facing attack.

You think the BBC is biased to the left!

on social issues, maybe, on the economy, no.