Sign in to follow this  

1988 Assured Tenancy Rent Increase

When a tenant refers the landlord's 'proposed' rent increase to the Rent Tribunal, can the landlord legally, retrospectively charge the tenant the 'proposed' rent in the interim, or does the landlord have to wait until the Tribunal make their decision? 

See the Housing Act 1988 as amended.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/part/I/chapter/I/crossheading/rent-and-other-terms

This enables an interim rent, in certain circumstances. It can be backdated to the date of the s.13 Notice's proposal, unless the Tribunal considers that it would cause hardship.

In particular, s.14(7) says- with my added underlining- this:

Where a notice under section 13(2) above has been referred to the appropriate tribunal, then, unless the landlord and the tenant otherwise agree, the rent determined by the appropriate tribunal (subject, in a case where subsection (5) above applies, to the addition of the appropriate amount in respect of rates) shall be the rent under the tenancy with effect from the beginning of the new period specified in the notice or, if it appears to the appropriate tribunal that that would cause undue hardship to the tenant, with effect from such later date (not being later than the date the rent is determined) as the appropriate tribunal may direct.

This has been very useful, thank you Jeffrey.