Highway Code Shakeup. Cyclists Encouraged To Use Middle Of Road

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Because someone posted at the lack of cycle lanes and i said that they should start charging cyclists road tax to pay for more cycle lanes

I hope that clears up any confusion you may have 👍

You think that cyclists don't have cars? Nearly all do.

I hope that clears up any confusion you may have 👍

1 minute ago, altus said:

People aren't charged a road tax for their cars, so why have one only for cycles?

Everybody who pays council tax contributes to the highways budget.

Cars wear out roads about 10,000 times faster than cycles. You can pay for cycle facilities with the money saved by cyclists not wearing out the roads as fast as car drivers.

We could charge cyclists £15 a year.......call it a registration fee or something

Or make it law that all cyclists have to take a Highway code test and use that money to pay for cycle lanes

Choose whatever system you want 🙄

why though?

cycle lanes pay for themselves

increased transport capacity

reduced pressure from cars

better health

increased local shop spending

and they're really cheap - compare with any other transport infrastructure

it's costing us £XXbillions, every year, *not* having a proper cycle network

do we want more, or less driving?

Edited by ads36

2 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

We could charge cyclists £15 a year.......call it a registration fee or something

Or make it law that all cyclists have to take a Highway code test and use that money to pay for cycle lanes

I choose none of the above. In fact, nothing at all. Which is how it will stay despite your pitiful arguments :)

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

Why have one only for cycles and not one for cars? Perhaps we should apply your £15 a year to cars, scaling it up for the 10,000 times as much wear and tear that they do to the roads.

The current one please.

10 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I choose none of the above. In fact, nothing at all. Which is how it will stay despite your pitiful arguments :)

8 minutes ago, altus said:

Why have one only for cycles and not one for cars? Perhaps we should apply your £15 a year to cars, scaling it up for the 10,000 times as much wear and tear that they do to the roads.

The current one please.

You guys think youre the rebels of the road

You ride a bicycle FFS 

Good for you....you keep sticking it to the man 😁

we can all talk about things we wish were true.

i'd like to see VED start at zero, then charged at £1/kilo above 800Kg, and £100/kilo above 1300Kg

it costs us a fortune paying for ever-more infrastructure to keep increasing numbers of cars moving, it's about time they paid their way...

the rules above could be easily applied to cyclists : i'm getting pretty fat in my old age, but i've got a long way to go to 800Kg! 

Edited by ads36

12 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

You guys think youre the rebels of the road

You ride a bicycle FFS 

Good for you....you keep sticking it to the man 😁

If you feel the need to set up straw men it shows you know your arguments don't have merit.

Cycling need be nothing more than a way of getting around and keeping fit.

46 minutes ago, ads36 said:

we can all talk about things we wish were true.

Instead of reading about what the Express or Mail say is changing

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022?fbclid=IwAR1XmRGt3jDlwH-RLONtr3sWzXI-aiGLOlA0oCSlwPKRIWOoObGgVEuLnqs

I don't see why there should be all the fuss now when primary position at junctions and areas of concern have been standard for years.

I suppose it makes sense to tell other road users what the National Standards are after they past their driving test 40 years ago and not looked at the Highway Code since.

Not sure where I'm going to find a road wide enough to pass a horse or pedestrian who is walking in the road and give them a 2m gap.

What about pedestrians on the pavement? Do they not get a 2 metre gap?

Edited by Findlay

Anything in the new code about keeping cyclists off the pavement? Having been injured by a Lycra clad and helmeted middle aged cyclist dodging a tram delaying his journey  I hope so. I’d also like pedestrian crossings adjusted so older/disabled people have time to cross. I was marooned in the middle of two lane traffic when drivers, who must have seen me, ‘obeyed’ the orange/green light before I had safely crossed. About six cars whisked past me before a white van man stopped and waved me across with several drivers behind showing displeasure by blasting their horns.

19 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Sadly wouldn't work.  It would end up costing more processing and policing.  That's why dog licences were abolished - it cost more to process them that they cost.