Highway Code Shakeup. Cyclists Encouraged To Use Middle Of Road

4 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

If they can get on for parked cars that is

Well there we both agree.  Neither car nor bicycle should be on the pavement. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well there we both agree.  Neither car nor bicycle should be on the pavement. 

Absolute bugbear of mine that . I regularly walk through a quiet , tidy little estate and see cars parked on the pavement when there is no need . Many times I have been tempted to do harm to the offending cars .

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Will they have a bell that goes Chirpy Chirpy Tweet Tweet 

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Brilliant. :thumbsup:

Waiting for the news bloke on a bike brings Sheffield to a standstill.

28 minutes ago, retep said:

Waiting for the news bloke on a bike brings Sheffield to a standstill.

Its already at a standstill . diversions , roads closed , 30 traffic lights on Penistone and Halifax Road , get a bike  P .

36 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Its already at a standstill . diversions , roads closed , 30 traffic lights on Penistone and Halifax Road , get a bike  P .

To be fair its the quickest way to get around town as well these days. :roll:

bikes in the middle of the road lane what a joke, does anyone actually think they will move over if a faster vehicle comes up behind them? na they will have  a smug smile on their face knowing they are holding traffic up.

8 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

bikes in the middle of the road lane what a joke, does anyone actually think they will move over if a faster vehicle comes up behind them? na they will have  a smug smile on their face knowing they are holding traffic up.

I previously posted its faster to get around town quicker on a pushbike but as for cycling in the middle of the  road could cause accidents because the cyclist are impeding traffic causing drivers to take at times certain risk to get passed them,  anyhow  I thought any type of impeding traffic was an offence. :huh: 

35 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I previously posted its faster to get around town quicker on a pushbike but as for cycling in the middle of the  road could cause accidents because the cyclist are impeding traffic causing drivers to take at times certain risk to get passed them,  anyhow  I thought any type of impeding traffic was an offence. :huh: 

A cyclist should position its self away from the gutter, drains and so it can safely manouvre around potholes; that position could be some distance away from the curb.

If all cyclists did position themselves in the middle of the lane, cycle lanes of other measures would have happened many years ago.

A pretty sensible response to the tabloid scaremongering and hyping of the new changes:

Common myths about what UK Highway Code changes will mean
Cyclists won’t be ‘in the middle of the road’ and there is no new rule on riding two abreast

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/24/common-myths-about-what-uk-highway-code-changes-will-mean

8 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

A pretty sensible response to the tabloid scaremongering and hyping of the new changes:

Common myths about what UK Highway Code changes will mean
Cyclists won’t be ‘in the middle of the road’ and there is no new rule on riding two abreast

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/24/common-myths-about-what-uk-highway-code-changes-will-mean

For once, I agree with the Guardian.

The workmate i get a lift with said something about a change when you get out of a car too, you have to use your hand furthest away from the door to open it, so you look out the window to see if any cyclists or pedsetrians are going past.

Have we had a spate of murder by car door like?