Highway Code Shakeup. Cyclists Encouraged To Use Middle Of Road

24 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The new law will be ignored just like the use of mobile phones while driving  is .

On top of that the pub near us has the car park and surrounding road full at all times of day , Does any seriously think that all those drivers are supping Dandilion and Burdock .

Mind you I have been to Aldie on mi old bike today and noticed two cars pass me with lots of room to spare , spoit by a Amazon van shoving me in the edge a few mins later .

My bold. 

That's a big assumption to make?   No proof whatsoever.  However, for many years, we continually see adult pushbike riders on the pavement, mounting pavements when faced with red lights or totally ignoring red lights. 

Maybe they're the ones not on the Dandelion & Burdock?

What's the pub near you then?  I'm prepared to pop in & observe & shop anyone who might be drinking & driving.  Makes no odds to me if they're breaking the law.   

Name the pub?  We'll have the landlord as well. 

Edited by Baron99

I've been assured the Marmite Lycra wearing cyclist of a certain age (where they should know better) that gather outside our local Witherspoons, mid day, are not partaking in the falling down water, (or the Dandillion and Burdock) but only meet there to buy pickled walnuts 🥴 .

A lot of people referring to the Highway code updates as "a new law" 🤔

It seems to be this update which is getting people all worked up:

"Rule 213
On narrow sections of road, on quiet roads or streets, at road junctions and in slower-moving traffic, cyclists may sometimes ride in the centre of the lane, rather than towards the side of the road. It can be safer for groups of cyclists to ride two abreast in these situations. Allow them to do so for their own safety, to ensure they can see and be seen. Cyclists are also advised to ride at least a door’s width or 1 metre from parked cars for their own safety
"

Bearing in mind that cyclists have always been allowed to cycle in the centre of a lane, also ignoring the negative exaggeration from the media, what is it exactly that is so upsetting about this update?

44 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

That's a big assumption to make?   No proof whatsoever.  However, for many years, we continually see adult pushbike riders on the pavement, mounting pavements when faced with red lights or totally ignoring red lights. 

What's the pub near you then?  I'm prepared to pop in & observe & shop anyone who might be drinking & driving.  Makes no odds to me if they're breaking the law.   

We also see drivers on the phone whilst driving, we see drivers texting and driving, killing and injuring many many more than a bike rider on a pavement.

More people are killed by dogs than cyclists. 

Edited by Bargepole23

17 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

We also see drivers on the phone whilst driving, we see drivers texting and driving, killing and injuring many many more than a bike rider on a pavement.

More people are killed by dogs than cyclists. 

Oh, well that's OK. No need to ask cyclists to ride safety and stick to the rules then eh? 

What I dislike is the way cyclists expect pedestrians to move out of their way when both are on the pavement. 

24 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Oh, well that's OK. No need to ask cyclists to ride safety and stick to the rules then eh? 

Given how many more are killed by motorists, including on the pavement, it would be a good idea to concentrate on them first.

9 minutes ago, altus said:

Given how many more are killed by motorists, including on the pavement, it would be a good idea to concentrate on them first.

Right, so you are only focusing on deaths? 

Do cyclists not cause injury to people? 

Do they not cause fear and alarm to some? 

Does their antisocial behaviour not need addressing? 

27 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

What I dislike is the way cyclists expect pedestrians to move out of their way when both are on the pavement. 

A few years ago I witnessed a cyclist Almost collide with a woman pushing a pram. The abuse he shouted at the woman was disgusting. So disgusting in fact that another witness chinned him. It wasn't pretty. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

no naming and shaming for me its a no no on public forums , you can't go any lower

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Right, so you are only focusing on deaths? 

Do cyclists not cause injury to people? 

Do they not cause fear and alarm to some? 

Does their antisocial behaviour not need addressing?

Do motorists not cause more injury to people than cyclists?

Do they not cause more fear and alarm to some than cyclists? 

Would addressing their antisocial behaviour first not have a greater impact and sooner than addressing that of cyclists?

That is of course ignoring the fact that people who are antisocial tend to be so regardless of their mode of transport (although being in a metal box tends to make some 'braver' and so more likely to be so when driving).

23 minutes ago, altus said:

Do motorists not cause more injury to people than cyclists?

Snipped 

Of course they do. Motorists far far faaaaaaaar outnumber cyclists so of course they'll be involved in more accidents. 

So should we ignore cyclists then just because they are in the minority? 

1 hour ago, FoxLady said:

Laugh:

I used to cycle to work locally every morning, and every day I would have to give way to two lady joggers coming towards me. they would only run together with one of them always in the cycle lane. 

See the source image

I always managed to move over until the day came I had no option but to stop .

Their 'thankyous' were answered with a rather Scottish "it's alright I had to stop anyway".

After that they started filing into a single line for the short period when we passed and we even started saying "good morning" 🤣 . 

Keep safe out there 8) .

Courtesy rulz  :lol: .