Highway Code Shakeup. Cyclists Encouraged To Use Middle Of Road

7 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Cars dont drive on footpaths / pedestrian areas 

From here:

Research by the University of Westminister’s Active Travel Project found that between 2005 and 2018, 548 pedestrians on pavements were killed by vehicles. That is, about 40 people a year. And of that 548, just 6 were killed by cyclists.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

From here:

Ok then , cars dont normally drive on footpaths / pedestrian areas .

10 hours ago, hackey lad said:

What about a bike behind them on a footpath , ringing its bell then effing a blinding when they dont move over . I have seen this happen .

I've seen people on foot swearing at other pedestrians when they can't get past. Maybe we should all carry a bell?

Cars dont drive on footpaths / pedestrian areas 

You were replying to a post about pedestrians stepping into the road, where cars drive.

Ok then , cars dont normally drive on footpaths / pedestrian areas .

I see far more cars on pavements than I do cyclists, and I'm pretty sure they drove there.

I rode to the supermarket yesterday , trying to give my self a bit more roadt  than usual , "Next time IL'e run ore thi " was yelled at me  by a bloke in a pickup truck ,on a road where it is impossible to go more than 20 MPH due to loads of traffic ,

I caught up with him at the roundabout bottom of Burncross road tapped on his window , "sorry  PAL i am late for a job" was his smiling comment .

Its easy to be beligerant in a couple of ton of rolling metal where you cannot get hurt by a cyclist .

Edited by cuttsie

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I've seen people on foot swearing at other pedestrians when they can't get past. Maybe we should all carry a bell?

You were replying to a post about pedestrians stepping into the road, where cars drive.

I see far more cars on pavements than I do cyclists, and I'm pretty sure they drove there.

I witnessed it  . I have never seen a car trying to get round a person on a footpath 

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I witnessed it  . I have never seen a car trying to get round a person on a footpath 

I've seen them pushing forward on a footpath, forcing the pedestrian to get out of the way.

7 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I rode to the supermarket yesterday , trying to give my self a bit more roadt  than usual , "Next time IL'e run ore thi " was yelled at me  by a bloke in a pickup truck ,on a road where it is impossible to go more than 20 MPH due to loads of traffic ,

I caught up with him at the roundabout bottom of Burncross road tapped on his window , "sorry  PAL i am late for a job" was his smiling comment .

Its easy to be beligerant in a couple of ton of rolling metal where you cannot get hurt by a cyclist .

They never seem to complain about other cars slowing them down though

Again what a load of tosh :suspect: .

At what expense will these changes cost to implement or in force?

All good drivers have always allowed for cyclist's, pedestrians and other road users to be unpredictable.

Are pedestrian (who have probably never read the highway code) suddenly on learning they now have a right of way over motor vehicles (something they already had) suddenly think 'I've no need to stand on the pavement waiting for a safe moment to cross the road - I can walk straight out'. - of course they aren't.

Are cyclist riding on a cycle path going to think, 'with this new set of rules I can ride straight into traffic, that 40 tonne waggon has to stop for me now  - of course they aren't.

Even the most bloody minded of cyclist or pedestrian are hardly going to put themselves in danger.

Rant over :blush: .

Keep safe out there no matter what you ride / drive 🚶‍♂️ 🚴‍♂️ 🏍️🚗   🚚  🎠 8) .

10 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Again what a load of tosh :suspect: .

At what expense will these changes cost to implement or in force?

All good drivers have always allowed for cyclist's, pedestrians and other road users to be unpredictable.

Are pedestrian (who have probably never read the highway code) suddenly on learning they now have a right of way over motor vehicles (something they already had) suddenly think 'I've no need to stand on the pavement waiting for a safe moment to cross the road - I can walk straight out'. - of course they aren't.

Are cyclist riding on a cycle path going to think, 'with this new set of rules I can ride straight into traffic, that 40 tonne waggon has to stop for me now  - of course they aren't.

Even the most bloody minded of cyclist or pedestrian are hardly going to put themselves in danger.

Rant over :blush: .

Keep safe out there no matter what you ride / drive 🚶‍♂️ 🚴‍♂️ 🏍️🚗   🚚  🎠 8) .

👍👍👍👍

21 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

I think this 4min video says it all 🙄

42 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I think this 4min video says it all 🙄

Impressive.

The law is already out there to deal with road traffic infringements and if your common sense dictates riding through red lights etc is worth the risk -  so be it if the consequences are more than a simple fine 🚑 .

Keep safe out there 8) .

On 29/01/2022 at 11:25, Rockers rule said:

Impressive.

The law is already out there to deal with road traffic infringements and if your common sense dictates riding through red lights etc is worth the risk -  so be it if the consequences are more than a simple fine 🚑 .

Keep safe out there 8) .

...and the police do act if they see it happen