Highway Code Shakeup. Cyclists Encouraged To Use Middle Of Road

A bit further out in the SW of Sheffield, but I am not suggesting there are 'hordes' of them - it only takes one or two to think they have priority (from behind) to give the rest of the cycling fraternity - who appear to be reasonable people - a bad name.

48 minutes ago, altus said:

What proportion of cyclists do you think don't have voices?

Originally I rode without a bell, thinking I can just verbally warn pedestrians. There is a difference in response though, when a pedestrian hears a voice they tend to casually look around. 

With a bell (if they hear it) they take notice and react quicker, in my experience, that's why I went back to a bell.

I'm not saying yelling doesn't work, but there's definitely a difference in response time.

39 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

There should be a legal need for them - a cyclist, especially on a footpath, zipping past you at speed and very close is an unnerving experience. Makes me jump, and I'm usually aware of my surroundings.  TBH, 'looking naff' isn't really an excuse for removing a warning device.

They don't need any excuse, there's no requirement to have one fitted.

4 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

Originally I rode without a bell, thinking I can just verbally warn pedestrians. There is a difference in response though, when a pedestrian hears a voice they tend to casually look around. 

With a bell (if they hear it) they take notice and react quicker, in my experience, that's why I went back to a bell.

I'm not saying yelling doesn't work, but there's definitely a difference in response time.

They don't need any excuse, there's no requirement to have one fitted.

Bolded bit - then (IMO) there should be.

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Bolded bit - then (IMO) there should be.

Get on to your MP about it then!

Edited by RootsBooster

3 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

Got on to your MP about it then!

I would if I thought it would be of any use, but she is not going to be interested as it would be against what I can guess are her 'priorities' - having just read her latest entries on her website.

5 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

The changes to the highway code, I don't see what the big deal is. The advice has always been to take centre lane (primary) position when it's safer to do so.

I think, as more bicycles (and potentially e-scooters) appear on the roads, it wouldn't hurt if there was a mandatory (but free of charge) online theory test for anyone who uses the roads. 

Pedestrians, e-scooter riders, cyclist, mobility scooter users and motorists would all brake the rules if it suited them.

We dont want to become a police state, the roads and pavements should be made suitable for all users. We have come from an era where the car was king, now we have all these different modes of transport. Its up to the Government to make it work and not be anti cyclist/scooter/mobility scooter.

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

If a pedestrian 'wanders into the road without looking' - and they do - it is their own silly fault. As a pedestrian, I keep my wits about me even  when on the footpath - non-road-legal cyclists seem to think they have priority on the footways round here. As an aside, why are cycles no longer fitted with bells - at least that way a cyclist had some way of warning of their approach?

As a pedestrian crossing roads I assume vehicles/cycles and their users are blind, and never try to cross when they are close by -except on a zebra/pelican crossing when the gap between me and them is sufficient to allow evasive action if needed.

That's what I said.  It is their own silly fault but with the new rules the driver will automatically take the blame. 

5 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

It will be the motorist's fault, that's what changes.

A motorist should approach a junction at a safe speed (meaning they'll be able to stop if necessary). If a pedestrian is present and could potentially step out into the road, anticipate that it might happen.

Most bikes are still sold with bells supplied, usually the owner removes them because they look naff. I have a compact bell on both of my bikes which doesn't look too bad, I use it in town but I'd say only about 25% of people are aware enough (not distracted by music or a handheld screen) to take notice.

Just out of curiosity, what is a non-road-legal cyclist?

What if people are deaf ?

9 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Car drivers seem to be OK to stick with a horn as a warning device.

4 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Car drivers seem to be OK to stick with a horn as a warning device.

Cars dont drive on footpaths / pedestrian areas 

17 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I suspect deaf people aren't distracted by listening to music. More seriously, not being able to rely on their hearing to tell them if there are any hazards about, they'll look around to assess risks more than hearing people.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

I suspect deaf people aren't distracted by listening to music. More seriously, not being able to rely on their hearing to tell them if there are any hazards about, they'll look around to assess risks more than hearing people.

What about a bike behind them on a footpath , ringing its bell then effing a blinding when they dont move over . I have seen this happen .