Highway Code Shakeup. Cyclists Encouraged To Use Middle Of Road

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Mistaken it is then.

Haven't you got something better to do?

Surely your time could be spent doing something more productive

Get a hobby 👍

11 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

This is exactly what ab2626 posted earlier in this thread. Same person? Bizarre.

nope thats not me

Guest sibon
19 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Haven't you got something better to do?

Surely your time could be spent doing something more productive

Get a hobby 👍

How fast was the bike going?

13 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

nope thats not me

Well, you've got a fan/cyberstalker 😀

Edited by Bargepole23

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

It's always been so apparently but the new Highway Code rules clarify the following.  Cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes even if one is available. The code, which has made this rule clearer but hasn’t changed it, says cyclists should “exercise their judgement”.

Makes me wonder why the country is spending a fortune putting cycle lanes in all over the place & reducing the size of existing carriageways or in some cases, designating entire carriageways as new cycle paths. 

it's because we're *not* spending a fortune on cycle lanes "all over" we're spending a bit, putting in a few - in a few places.

(the cycle-lane building budget is a very small fraction of the endless road-building budget, or the train-line budget, or etc)

There is at least one valid reason why cyclists aren't legally obliged to use cycle lanes most cycle lanes are really bad - poorly designed, built on the cheap, decades ago.

Then remember that they've often got vehicles parked in them...

Look at London, they've spent a tiny fraction of the Crossrail budget building decent cycle routes - and they're very well used.

build a cycle route and i'll use it, until then i'll just drive to work.

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

it's because we're *not* spending a fortune on cycle lanes "all over" we're spending a bit, putting in a few - in a few places.

(the cycle-lane building budget is a very small fraction of the endless road-building budget, or the train-line budget, or etc)

There is at least one valid reason why cyclists aren't legally obliged to use cycle lanes most cycle lanes are really bad - poorly designed, built on the cheap, decades ago.

Look at London, they've spent a tiny fraction of the Crossrail budget building decent cycle routes - and they're very well used.

Well lets start charging cyclists road tax and we can pay for more cycle lanes 👍

10 minutes ago, ads36 said:

My bold. 

An academic study from the Economics and Human Biology journal has estimated that for every £4,915 spent on cycle lanes in London, just one extra commuter cyclist uses the scheme.

Hmmm!   Everyday's a school day, eh? 

Edited by Baron99

i'd love to see their working out : i bet it's A) out of date, and B) based on a single year of use : the cost of construction being divided by 1 year, not ... 50

let's not forget that London's cycle network isn't finished yet - there are significant gaps.

how much is Crossrail going to cost? £15billion? how many new rail commuters will that see in it's first year?

10,000?

£15billion / 10thousand = £1.5million per new commuter

Edited by ads36

8 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i'd love to see their working out : i bet it's A) out of date, and B) based on a single year of use : the cost of construction being divided by 1 year, not ... 50

let's not forget that London's cycle network isn't finished yet - there are significant gaps.

how much is Crossrail going to cost? £15billion, how many new rail commuters will that see in it's first year?

Where not discussing Crossrail costs.  Stop trying to side track the discussions on the new Highway Code rules. 

You've been provided with the source material - An academic study from the Economics and Human Biology journal - go look the information up about their working out. 

Edited by Baron99

er... that was you?

hang on, i'll check.

You asked a reasonable question about obligation, i tried to explain that we don't need laws when we've got decent infrastructure - we can see it working in London, and you replied with costs and numbers

(bet you a quid i'm right about that calculation - it's nonsense : you can't divide construction costs by one years use, and/or expect everyone to change their behaviour in the first year)

Edited by ads36

12 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I saw it on The Wicker a few weeks ago

A bike in the bus lane with 3 buses and a few taxis behind it

150 people going at 5mph because of one selfish ******* on a bike...........I bet the person on the bike couldnt be happier

Bus lanes will become full of them

Happens regularly & to apease the pedants it's not normally as slow as 5mph but very often less than half the posted limit. Of course the cyclist then comes to the red light and either hops on the kerb and goes across the pedestrian only crossing (as indicated by the lack of cycle symbols on the control lights) or just continues through the red.

15 hours ago, Baron99 said:

It's always been so apparently but the new Highway Code rules clarify the following.  Cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes even if one is available. The code, which has made this rule clearer but hasn’t changed it, says cyclists should “exercise their judgement”.

Makes me wonder why the country is spending a fortune putting cycle lanes in all over the place & reducing the size of existing carriageways or in some cases, designating entire carriageways as new cycle paths. 

Well this is the thing isn't it. Cyclist group get all up in their britches about not having any infrastructure to use for their safety so councils spend 100s of thousands of taxpayers money so they can have their own 'roads' & then the same groups moan about what's been provided and refuse to use it. 

The one moan that I hear consistently is that they're not happy that the have to stop for junctions. OH NOES ! WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN! 

For me and I know many that agree, there is no point in building cyclist specific infrastructure until it's use is mandated. Spending tax money on infrastucture that won't be used purely to pander to a minority as the cost of the majority by using money could be spent acutally maintaining current  road infrastructure, which is to the benefit to all, is utterly ridiculous.  

14 minutes ago, Resident said:

The one moan that I hear consistently is that they're not happy that the have to stop for junctions.

not "junctions" - side roads.

i know  we're talking about sub-sets, etc. but it's extremely annoying slowing down / stopping/waiting/re-joining for every side-road.

We don't ask drivers to do it, why ask cyclists? - if we're going to make life difficult for cycling, we'll just end up with even more drivers, and even more traffic.

i'm a driver, i want to see less traffic/congestion, not more. The *only* way to achieve that is to improve the alternatives - not make them even worse.

14 minutes ago, Resident said:

Spending tax money on infrastucture that won't be used

it does get used : the new stuff in London is very popular (we haven't built any yet)

Edited by ads36