Highway Code Shakeup. Cyclists Encouraged To Use Middle Of Road

13 minutes ago, melthebell said:

The workmate i get a lift with said something about a change when you get out of a car too, you have to use your hand furthest away from the door to open it, so you look out the window to see if any cyclists or pedsetrians are going past.

Have we had a spate of murder by car door like?

Again, common sense dictates that you check for people approaching from behind - well I do anyway - but usually by using the car mirror, and then the window, but that using the far hand sounds a bit silly, to me.

The Department for Transport and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency are just another institution that has been infested by the left

No one asked for these changes and they are unpopular with the vast majority of those who use the roads

Just another example of a tiny minority group of left wing civil servants who have changed rules to suit their narrative without any consultation from the electorate 

Edited by Jack Grey

10 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

The Department for Transport and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency are just another institution that has been infested by the left

No one asked for these changes and they are unpopular with the vast majority of those who use the roads

Just another example of a tiny minority group of left wing civil servants who have changed rules to suit their narrative without any consultation from the electorate 

how do you know they are left wing, do you know them personally? youve just made that bit up...havent you?

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

how do you know they are left wing, do you know them personally? youve just made that bit up...havent you?

Because any idiot who has come up with the crazy rule where cyclists have right of way has to be a left wing

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

Because any idiot who has come up with the crazy rule where cyclists have right of way has to be a left wing

tbf compared to you 99.99% of the population has to be "left wing"

Hmmm... :huh:

I don't see any problems with the new rules suggesting that cyclists should ride in the middle of the lane...

... now that it's in the Highway Code, it's unlikely that many of them will obey it anyway! :hihi:

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

tbf compared to you 99.99% of the population has to be "left wing"

Actually no its a tiny minority that is left wing.

The left 00.01% percent seem to now run the civil service, unions, transport, border force, NHS, BBC, transport, charities, NCO's, universities, education, justice system, Immigration, MSM, social media, etc etc etc

The Tories are in government but its the left who are running the country by telling 99.99% what to say, what to do and what to think 

You should be proud that the left have staged a Coup D'etat without firing one bullet 👍

Edited by Jack Grey

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Again, common sense dictates that you check for people approaching from behind - well I do anyway - but usually by using the car mirror, and then the window, but that using the far hand sounds a bit silly, to me.

Doors being opened as you pass is a common occurrence for cyclists. It's one of the reasons they are advised to give parked cars a wide berth. You and lots of others might check but many people don't. The Dutch reach door opening technique does at least get people facing the window of the door they are about to open.

For those motorists on the thread upset at this change, RoSPA has this comment on it:

The Dutch Reach method can also protect drivers and passengers themselves from being struck by an oncoming vehicle, as well as reducing the risk that their car door could be damaged or torn off by a passing vehicle.

7 minutes ago, altus said:

Doors being opened as you pass is a common occurrence for cyclists. It's one of the reasons they are advised to give parked cars a wide berth. You and lots of others might check but many people don't. The Dutch reach door opening technique does at least get people facing the window of the door they are about to open.

For those motorists on the thread upset at this change, RoSPA has this comment on it:

Fair enough, but I don't intend to change my technique - I've never hit anyone yet.

11 minutes ago, altus said:

oh my how i chuckled ! Dutch method!! oh yes i can everyone using this method, white van man, spotty youth in souped up corsa, old granddad with arthritis, school mum dropping kids off hell she cant even be bothered to get dressed and has to park on white zig zags to get little precious into school without getting cold lol

The main problem I see with this is cars stopping all over the place when someone is stood anywhere waiting to cross and the car behind running into it. May well be the car behinds fault but I can see a lot of accidents on the way. 

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I take you have never been knocked of a cycle or motor cycle by a driver who says in court "I never saw him sir" then gets away with killing some one by not looking properly .

Edited by cuttsie