Sign in to follow this  

Where Was Carter Lane In Gleadless?

Can anyone please tell me where Carter Lane was in Gleadless? Was it immediately off White Lane and renamed as Carter Hall Road at some stage after WW2?  And what is now Carter Hall Lane previously Carter Lane too? 

It was (is) the unmade track situated between the school and the playing fields.

5 minutes ago, crookesey said:

It was (is) the unmade track situated between the school and the playing fields.

Nice one crookesey!  It is hard sometimes to find lanes, roads, & tracks that are not on any maps, 

or listed in directories. I have found often in my research, that they are given names by the local

residents that 'stick' and are only mentioned by them, and if you don't live in the area, you have no 

idea where they 'were' or 'are', if they weren't adopted by the council, they're not on maps either.

5 hours ago, Robin Brook said:

Can anyone please tell me where Carter Lane was in Gleadless? Was it immediately off White Lane and renamed as Carter Hall Road at some stage after WW2?  And what is now Carter Hall Lane previously Carter Lane too? 

Carter Hall Lane has had the same name since before WW1

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.135670199379316&lat=53.34010&lon=-1.41781&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Thanks for this. I guess 80 years ago locals could have referred to Carterhall Road and Carterhall Lane together as Carter Lane. I've seen Carter Lane written down in an official document  but could have been quoting a local.