E Greaves & Sons

I'm trying to find some history of E Greaves casemakers formerly of Sidney Street Sheffield. I've read somewhere that previous to their Sidney Street location they had premises that were destroyed by fire. When did they begin operating for instance? They must have been hand in glove with Sheffields cutlery trade being casemakers. Hope someone can help, many thanks!

12 hours ago, Mrich said:

I'm trying to find some history of E Greaves casemakers formerly of Sidney Street Sheffield. I've read somewhere that previous to their Sidney Street location they had premises that were destroyed by fire. When did they begin operating for instance? They must have been hand in glove with Sheffields cutlery trade being casemakers. Hope someone can help, many thanks!

Is this it?

Edited by Jack Grey

I must have been about 10 years old when I saw flames and smoke coming from somewhere around the bottom of The Moor from where we lived on Fentonville St. We, the gang of playmates, scuttled off to find the biggest fire we'd seen in our lives with fire engines filling the streets. That was Greaves of Sydney St. When Sheffield still had a cutlery trade packing case making was a secondary industry employing many people. I don't know but I imagine the closure would have caused problems for many of the cutlery firms.  I think it was at least two years before it was "Greaves Again" which was a slogan they had on the new building. 

So the original factory on Sydney Street burned down and was then rebuilt in the same spot?

12 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Is this it?

Thank you Jack

12 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

I must have been about 10 years old when I saw flames and smoke coming from somewhere around the bottom of The Moor from where we lived on Fentonville St. We, the gang of playmates, scuttled off to find the biggest fire we'd seen in our lives with fire engines filling the streets. That was Greaves of Sydney St. When Sheffield still had a cutlery trade packing case making was a secondary industry employing many people. I don't know but I imagine the closure would have caused problems for many of the cutlery firms.  I think it was at least two years before it was "Greaves Again" which was a slogan they had on the new building. 

You may not want to answer this for sake of giving you age away. Have you any recollections of what year this was. Thank you for the information David

11 hours ago, Mrich said:

You may not want to answer this for sake of giving you age away. Have you any recollections of what year this was. Thank you for the information David

Nice thought but I can't deny I'll be 80 next month. I think the fire was in 1953 but I cannot be certain. If not it was certainly around that time.  You could search the Sheffield Telegraph archives kept at Central Library in Surrey St. There were lots of photos. 

On 24/01/2022 at 11:45, DavidFrance said:

That must have been some sight David, especially for a gang of boys so young.  I've not heard of the 'Greaves Again' slogan before so that's something else I've learned, so thank you. Unfortunately I am unable to travel anymore so a visit to the Central Lending Library is out of the question.  Thank you again.