Sheffield Schools : Inconsistent (Unfair ? ) provision of swimming lessons.

My 8 year old is due to start swimming lessons with his school next term.

As far as I can work out he will be  getting a grand total of 6 lessons, that's six

How many kids can learn to swim in 6 lessons ? ! ?

Even more annoying, one of our friends whose kids go to a Junior school near Foxhill revealed they get 6 months worth of lessons !

How is that fair ?

As an aside, is that something to do with how schools are funded ? I suspect there are a higher proportion of kids on free school meals and/or with officially identified social issues at that school, so doesn't the school gets extra funding for them? We have noticed the kids at that school get a lot of other stuff which kids at our lad's school do not get (or they are expected to pay for it).

Is that right ?

Edited by Chekhov

51 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

As far as I can work out he will be  getting a grand total of 6 lessons, that's six

Even more annoying, one of our friends whose kids go to a Junior school near Foxhill revealed they get 6 months worth of lessons !

How is that fair ?

Six swimming lessons ?!

Luxury!

When I were a lad, me dad threw me in t’deep end of t’River Don and expected me to swim back t’shore.

I wouldn’t have minded, but we were staying  in Middlesbrough at the time.

Yes, that was a long swim home . . .

Edited by The Joker

51 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

How is that fair ?

As an aside, is that something to do with how schools are funded ? I suspect there are a higher proportion of kids on free school meals and/or with officially identified social issues at that school, so doesn't the school gets extra funding for them? We have noticed the kids at that school get a lot of other stuff which kids at our lad's school do not get (or they are expected to pay for it).

Is that right ?

How many lessons are in that 6 months? Might only be six 🤷‍♂️

Actually, I don't mind deprived kids getting extra help with their education, it's cheaper than paying to bang them up in jail ! (that's satire BTW)

Though I still think only 6 swimming lessons really is  a bit of a pointless attempt to "complete to the curriculum".

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Is that right ?

16 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Actually, I don't mind deprived kids getting extra help with their education, it's cheaper than paying to bang them up in jail ! (that's satire BTW)

Though I still think only 6 swimming lessons really is  a bit of a pointless attempt to "complete to the curriculum".

Made your mind up, Putin.

Do you mind, or do you not mind, that poorer kids are getting something for free?

Now, I must make it clear that I'm not saying you're a Russian stooge deliberately trolling the public in order to undermine Western society, but . . . but . . . but  . . . I don't know how to finish that sentence without contradicting myself.  Somebody help.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Six swimming lessons ?!

Luxury!

When I were a lad, me dad threw me in t’deep end of t’River Don and expected me to swim back t’shore.

I took my then 6yr old  grankid to spain on holiday , though she'd never swam before within half an hour maybe 15mins,

she'd copied the older kids and was swimming and even diving, obviously everyone in the family was 

keeping an eye on her, but took to it like a duck to water.

30 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Do you mind, or do you not mind, that poorer kids are getting something for free?

Putin.... maybe at a loose end,  cold turkey from the Covid thread being shut down again.

as for being unfair probably not, the other schools will have other disciplines that they do less of, obviously each school will have their own thoughts how best to allocate resources and on

what is most beneficial for students.

Edited by steve68

I would expect that the vast majority of parents/carers would have taught or have had their children taught to swim by the age of eight.

There is a genuine need for all children to be able to swim and be able to be safe around water.

School 'paid' lessons should be available for some who need it and awareness lessons for all.

This should be followed up immediately by commercial companies and Sports Associations offering free tasters and Government sponsored athletes, clubs, charities and organizations giving time to encourage all children. Should apply to many sports.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Now, I must make it clear that I'm not saying you're a Russian stooge deliberately trolling the public in order to undermine Western society, but . . . but . . . but  . . . I don't know how to finish that sentence without contradicting myself.  Somebody help.

Swimming lessons are a typical example of the fact the education authorities really expect parents who can afford it (and are more motivated to do so) to sort their kids learning to swim. But it's supposed to be a national curriculum, what a child learns is not supposed to be about how much money their parents are thought to have or what their parents are motivated to teach them.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

As far as I can work out he will be  getting a grand total of 6 lessons, that's six ! 

How is that fair ?

I suspect there are a higher proportion of kids on free school meals and/or with officially identified social issues at that school, so doesn't the school gets extra funding for them? We have noticed the kids at that school get a lot of other stuff which kids at our lad's school do not get (or they are expected to pay for it)

Is that right ? what a child learns is not supposed to be about how much money their parents are thought to have or what their parents are motivated to teach them.

to me that's just someone bleating me me me.

so a larger percentage of funds might go to the  less well off families in the area, FoodBanks run the same way if you don't need it you don't get it.

The O/P has banged on about how strong a swimmer his lad is, one point nailed on for a place in our  GB squad bythe age of 14,  so the need for a post on only 6 lessons on learning to swim is bonkers.

Edited by steve68

54 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Swimming lessons are a typical example of the fact the education authorities really expect parents who can afford it (and are more motivated to do so) to sort their kids learning to swim. But it's supposed to be a national curriculum, what a child learns is not supposed to be about how much money their parents are thought to have or what their parents are motivated to teach them.

Parents/carers are always the ones responsible for their childrens' health, walfare, education and enrichment.

The ability of parents/carers to support their education and enrichment is rarely a matter of affordability.

Parents should not rely on a school for their childs safety and enjoyment of water(or any other activity) and should be responsible for teaching their children to swim. Schools can only do so much.

Councils may or may not have funding for 'swimming' at any age.

Local Education Authorities may or may not have control over the Budget or Curriculumn of a school.

Between the age of 6 and 11 schools (NOT "education authorities") must be taught to:

• swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
  • use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
  • perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations." -National Curriculumn.

It is up to the school how that is delivered. As most schools will not have a pool or instructor, they will buy in lessons at a local pool and pay handsomely for it. The school must be satisfied that the provision meets the Ofsted criteria who will on occasion observe. Six hours in a pool during the whole of Primary school might satisfy the Government.

The school may have access to extra but ever decreasing Government funds allocated on the basis economic or social needs, but there will be enormous competition for these funds.

As parents/carers who care -become a Governor- become a member of the PTA- raise the issue-find funding.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

3 hours ago, The Joker said:

Six swimming lessons ?!

Luxury!

I was the same as you Joker but it was my brother who threw me in at the deep end at the Corporation street baths.

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Parents/carers are always the ones responsible for their childrens' health, walfare, education and enrichment.

The ability of parents/carers to support their education and enrichment is rarely a matter of affordability.

Parents should not rely on a school for their childs safety and enjoyment of water(or any other activity) and should be responsible for teaching their children to swim. Schools can only do so much.

Councils may or may not have funding for 'swimming' at any age.

Local Education Authorities may or may not have control over the Budget or Curriculumn of a school.

Between the age of 6 and 11 schools (NOT "education authorities") must be taught to:

• swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
  • use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
  • perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations." -National Curriculumn.

It is up to the school how that is delivered. As most schools will not have a pool or instructor, they will buy in lessons at a local pool and pay handsomely for it. The school must be satisfied that the provision meets the Ofsted criteria who will on occasion observe. Six hours in a pool during the whole of Primary school might satisfy the Government.

The school may have access to extra but ever decreasing Government funds allocated on the basis economic or social needs, but there will be enormous competition for these funds.

As parents/carers who care -become a Governor- become a member of the PTA- raise the issue-find funding.

Believe me no child would attain those goals with only 6 swimming lessons (or even 6 lessons a year every year from 6 to 11) unless they could basically do it all before.

Depending on how quickly they took to it, a non swimmer would need hours and hours and hours of instruction and water time if they were to try and do that without any out of school input.