Sign in to follow this  

Bus Ticket Guide

With the lifting of most Coronavirus restrictions approaching on Thursday 27 January, some of you may be thinking of getting out and about on buses and trams a bit more so I thought it would be a good time to produce a round up of the unlimited travel passes available and current prices so you can see what might be the best value for your needs!

First up Travelmaster and Stagecoach tickets..

TRAVELMASTER PRODUCTS - these include ALL operators so offer the most convenience and flexibility. More information and to buy online visit sytravelmaster.com.

Where to buy?

1 day tickets are available to buy on board, online, on the Stagecoach and First apps or from vending machines in Interchanges.

7 day tickets are available to buy on board, online or from vending machines in Interchanges. They are loaded to a smart card. Note prices are lower if bought in advance.

28 day and annual tickets are available online or from vending machines in Interchanges. They are loaded to a smart card.

Adult tickets:

CityBus - all buses in Sheffield: 1 day £4.70 (or pack of 5  online for £18.80), 7 day £17.50 (£16.30 online), 28 day £61.20, annual £703.80

CityWide - all buses and trams in Sheffield:  1 day £5.10 (or pack of 5 online for £20.40), 7 day £18.50 (£17.50 online), 28 day £65.60, annual £754.40

SY Connect - all buses and trams in South Yorkshire: 1 day £7.00 (or pack of 5 online for £28), 7 day £26 (£23.50 online), 28 day £88.20, annual £1,014.30.

SY Connect+ - all buses, trams and trains in South Yorkshire: 1 day £8.80, 7 day £30.60, 28 day £114.60, annual £1,318.00.

Child tickets - available to all children under 11 years old plus 12-18 year olds that hold a valid Travel South Yorkshire Zoom concessionary pass.

Getabout - all buses and trams in South Yorkshire: 1 day £2.60, 7 day £9 (£8.30 online), 28 day £33.20.

Getabout+ - all buses, trains and trams in South Yorkshire:  1 day £4, 7 day £14, 28 day £56.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAGECOACH PRODUCTS - include travel on local Stagecoach buses in our region and Supertram. 3 levels of product are available - tram only, Silver and Gold. More information and to buy online visit stagecoachbus.com and set the area to Sheffield.

Where to buy?

DayRider tickets are available to buy on board or on the Stagecoach app.

7 day MegaRider tickets are available to buy on board, on the Stagecoach app or online.

28 day and Xtra MegaRider tickets are available to buy online and are loaded to a smart card. Xtra is the pay monthly subscription option, this is the same price as the 28 day ticket but over the course of a year include up to 4 weeks more travel (as you are buying 12 tickets rather than 13).

Tram Only, adult: 1 day £4.40 (or pack of 5 on the app £17.60), 7 day £15.50 (£14.50 online), 28 day/Xtra £52

Tram Only, child: 7 day £8 (£7.50 online), 28 day £28

Tram Only, student: 28 day £39

Tram Only, family: 1 day £9, 7 day £33 (£31 on app)

Silver tickets - include buses and trams operated by Stagecoach throughout South Yorkshire, Dronfield, Eckington, Killamarsh and Chesterfield

1 day: adult £4,90, child £3.00

7 day: adult £17.00 (£16 online), child £8.50

28 day / Xtra: adult £62.00

Gold tickets - include most buses and trams operated by Stagecoach in South & West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Gainsborough

1 day: adult £7.20, child £4.70. family £12.

7 day: adult £24.00 (£23 online)

28 day / Xtra: adult £88.00

Bus only special offers (does not include Supertram): available on board or on the app

Evening Rider - travel on Stagecoach buses within South Yorkshire and Chesterfield as much as you like from 6pm until the end of service that day for £2.50

Five for a Fiver - At the weekend a group of up to 5 people can travel together as much as they like on Stagecoach buses within South Yorkshire and Chesterfield until the end of service that day for just £5, this is available from 5pm on Fridays and all day Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays.

Student weekly ticket - Sheffield & Dronfield only, £10 (£9.50 online).

Sheffield bus & tram student ticket - valid within Sheffield & Dronfield. On Tram Train valid as far as Meadowhall. 28 day £43

Child South Yorkshire bus & tram DayRider - £2.40 

Edited by Andy C

Hulleys of Baslow - Hopper tickets valid on their services as shown. Buy from the bus driver.

More information https://www.hulleys-of-baslow.co.uk/

hulleys+hopper-1920w.jpg

TM Travel - Buy from bus driver. visit http://www.tmtravel.co.uk/ticketing/ticket-guide/ for more information.

Day Saver - £7.50 for full network, £4.50 excluding Peak District

Week Saver - £16 for full network, £14.50 excluding Peak District

7 day ticket for one specific route - £13.00

Edited by Andy C

Some great value tickets on Sheffield buses. I'm a regular user of a Citywide Day tickets, easy to buy and use on your phone with the FirstBus app, as are the single journey tickets, 10 for 18 quid.

Isn't the modern world great, it's so good that we have a plethora of choice, and teams of people fresh out of college coming up with innovative ideas to differentiate their service, but this is far too simple.. If only the powers that be could make life a bit more complicated.

Perhaps they could charge a different price based on customer weight, and the number of people currently on the bus. Or charge a bit less for those vehicles that have no cabin heating or cleaning (You know the ones). Perhaps they could give a discount for excessive discomfort now that most people have an accelerometer in their pocket.

C'mon operators and legislators, complicate up some more. Don't waste all that lovely computer power and decades of technological advances on making life easier, simpler, and more comfortable for everyone.

Edited by fools

Derbyshire Wayfarer is available on all trains and buses into Derbyshire.

Over 60s £6 70-need proof.

Adult (+child) £13 40.

Buy at train station or on the bus

257 now hourly to Bakewell

It is pretty clear that the most overloaded busy buses are keeping their prices high most likely because many passengers are bounded to these bus routes with no other option. 

The routes and companies that are often more empty offer lower fares to fish the customers. And at times buses are very empty some smart bus companies offer very low fares to evening travellers to get some money somehow anyway. 

My personal experience is that these more expensive ones usually drive worse dirty older rattling patched up overloaded buses than the cheaper ones.

It pays to save not just in price but the bus will be better cleaner and not overloaded as well.

Edited by dutch

Onto First bus specific tickets now (don't forget if you want the flexibility of any bus regardless of operator, or if you want to combine bus with tram or train, the Travelmaster range is available, see original post).

First basically offer two sets of prices - Sheffield only and full South Yorkshire/Hope Valley network. Some tickets are cheaper if you buy on their app rather than onboard.

More information https://www.firstbus.co.uk/sheffield/tickets/ticket-prices

ADULT Sheffield tickets, valid on First buses within city limits:

First Day £4.20 on board, £4.00 on app. "Flexi5" deal also available - bundle of 5 x 1 day ticket for £18.80 on the app.

First Week £14.50 on board, £14.00 on app

First 4 Week £54.00 (available on app or online)

First Unlimited (Monthly direct debit) £52 (sign up online)

First Year £572 (available on app or online).

ADULT South Yorkshire tickets all First buses in the area (also include 271/272 to Castleton)

First Day £5.00

First Week £20

First 4 Week £76

First Unlimited (Monthly direct debit) £74 (sign up online)

First Year £814 (available on app or online).

Other ADULT offers:

pack of 10 single journey tickets £18 (on the app)

STUDENT TICKETS (with ID) on First buses within Sheffield city limits

single £1 (on board)

5 trip £5 (on app)

week £10

4 week £36

A student week for South Yorkshire is also available at £15.

CHILD TICKETS on First buses in South Yorkshire. Available to all under 11s and 11-18 year olds with a valid Travel South Yorkshire Zoom Concessionary pass

1 day £2.30 (£2 on app)

1 week £8.00 (£7 on app)

4 week £28.00 (online or app)

FAMILY TICKET - weekend only 

unlimited travel on First buses in South Yorkshire and the Hope Valley for up to 2 adults and 3 children travelling together until the end of that days service. Available after 6pm on Fridays and any time Saturday/Sunday. £10 from driver or £9 on app.

Edited by Andy C

I am so grateful to you, Andy, for your summaries.

I often use a First South Yorkshire and when returning from Castleton/Hope, I have often tried using them on buses of the other provider (senior moment forgets if that is Hulley's or TM).

I have never been refused, but am not sure if there is a reciprocal agreement on the 271/272 routes?

Are able to clarify?

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, cgksheff said:

I often use a First South Yorkshire and when returning from Castleton/Hope, I have often tried using them on buses of the other provider (senior moment forgets if that is Hulley's or TM).

I have never been refused, but am not sure if there is a reciprocal agreement on the 271/272 routes?

Are able to clarify?

There are arrangements in place sponsored by Derbyshire Council.  

These cover hulleys service and the late night 272 journeys that are or were covered by TM. 

14 hours ago, cgksheff said:

Are able to clarify?

Yes, the 271/272 is operated jointly by Hulleys and First with  return tickets, First Day and Hulleys Hopper tickets accepted on both.

---------------------------------------------------------

Something to add... current prices are still unchanged from January 2020 and have been frozen for 2 years now, thanks to government Covid support funding, this comes to an end  soon.

Edited by Andy C