Sign in to follow this  

Abbey Lane School - Old Tennis Court?

For anyone of a ''certain age'', do you remember before the playground existed when the school bank extended right up to the classrooms?

There was [from distant memory!) a narrow path by the main building (off the infant yard and climbing frame)  and the 'bank' dropped gently at the back as now, then more or less level until it reached the school itself.

There was also a tennis court on the left of the grass bank near the infant's playing yard.

Can’t remember this (I was at Abbey Lane 1956 -62),but I can remember the old air raid shelters which were at the back of the playground - about half a dozen of them I guess,built into the field and accessed by steps downwards. We used to play around the steps ( Health & Safety would no doubt say no to that nowadays!). We were only allowed on the field on warm dry days ,all sports lessons were outside on asphalt ,so lots of grazed knees etc. I enjoyed my time at Abbey Lane,though it’s so long ago now it seems like a different world!

Wow, thanks, Janet. Didn't know about the air raid shelters.

Maybe the grass banks evolved to cover the old shelters up?

Hia, it might be of interest to you, to read a post on here from:-

2006 by Robbinabobin  -  'Anyone from Abbey Lane School' - good few replies