Was There Really Salmon In The Rivers Don?

A year or  two back, we were informed via local news media that the river Don had been cleaned up. The news report told us that Salmon were back in the Don. I'm referring to the stretch that runs through Sheffield & Rotherham in the context of this thread.

Did this actually happen, or was it nonsense. Or, maybe it happened briefly and the rivers became poluted again. Anyone know? I'm quite interested in this. Probably a one-off stray salmon as I've heard nothing else.

I did a brief search and this came up.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/salmon-found-in-river-don-at-sheffield

Edited by Janus
Typo

I'd like to hope that the name of the section Salmon Pastures has a basis from fish being there.  Would Salmon come this far inland?

Alchr, 

Do we know roughly how long ago it was that the area was named that?

13 minutes ago, scottf said:

They have installed a salmon run in the don near East coast Road and juvenile salmon were seen in the river last year so i believe its been a success.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/salmon-spawn-after-rivers-leap-back-to-life-c902vjnjw

I think they also put a salmon run next to Ladies Bridge 

There is one  or two John West Salmon tins floating about in the Don thats a cert.  :hihi:

Thanks for the links, very interesting. I hope the  rivers remain clean now. The irony though is that some of the water companies are discharging raw sewage in to rivers. You couldn't make it up. It's shameful.

This is a recent news article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60040162

Edited by Janus
Typo

The Don valley interceptor sewer was built in the mid eighties ,runs from Hillsborough to Blackburn meadows with a bore size of up to 17feet

Even if they had Salmon in The Don would you actually eat one? 😃

yes i see no reason why not,as they only live in clean water

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Even if they had Salmon in The Don would you actually eat one? 😃

A concern I read about some years ago was the mercury content in Salmon. The health bods were advising to only eat salmon up to twice per week.

Apparently it starts with the tiny fish. I understand that there is a quite lot of 'farmed salmon'. Maybe that is safer?