Save The Bbc

39 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Personally, I hate the adverts interupting programmes, maybe they could try sponsorship at the beginning and end of programmes instead, (gives you time to nip to the loo and make a cup of tea.)

I'm not surprised the BBC is popular with older people, which is why some Britbox programmes would bring the viewers in, That, and a few decent films and Arts programmes would help. As for youtube, some good stuff on there too, I'm not sure how they go about buying rights to it.

Do people actually still watch adverts?   Since the invention of things like freeview recorders, Tivo, sky digital etc most people I know (older and young) record TV and watch back skipping ads.

Such is not really new technology.  

To me the biggest argument for keeping the BBC free is less for advertising aversion and more for the fact they provide niche but still vital public service broadcasting which commercial networks won't touch i.e. proper impartial consumer affairs, live parliamentary feeds, disability accessible services, religious programmes, non-native language services, eduction broadcasting etc.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 hours ago, ab6262 said:

working class lad i doubt hes done a day in his life???? his only claim to fame is being a very bad imitation of a cockney, false accent and false bravado what a tool!

And voting for Brexit ,then changing his mind after he had voted , false mans nothing more than a clown 

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

And voting for Brexit ,then changing his mind after he had voted , false mans nothing more than a clown 

I've been saying the same on here for years

8 hours ago, ab6262 said:

working class lad i doubt hes done a day in his life???? his only claim to fame is being a very bad imitation of a cockney, false accent and false bravado what a tool!

I've heard it described as Mockney. 

14 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Do people actually still watch adverts?   Since the invention of things like freeview recorders, Tivo, sky digital etc most people I know (older and young) record TV and watch back skipping ads.

To be able to binge all of ITV's "The Bay" on ITV Hub you're forced to sit through ads.  Although not as many as if it were on regular TV.

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Such is not really new technology.  

To me the biggest argument for keeping the BBC free is less for advertising aversion and more for the fact they provide niche but still vital public service broadcasting which commercial networks won't touch i.e. proper impartial consumer affairs, live parliamentary feeds, disability accessible services, religious programmes, non-native language services, eduction broadcasting etc.  

Licence fee is roughly £3 pw, scramble the bbc, let those who want to watch pay £12pm as now, if it survives, it survives, if it doesn't get adverts in, people who don't watch bbc shouldn't have to pay to watch sky, netflix etc

2 hours ago, pintor said:

Licence fee is roughly £3 pw, scramble the bbc, let those who want to watch pay £12pm as now, if it survives, it survives, if it doesn't get adverts in, people who don't watch bbc shouldn't have to pay to watch sky, netflix etc

......yes fine.  But just watch how expensive Sky, Netflix etc will suddenly become once they can no longer rely on vast archives from the BBC or its subsidiaries.  How will people react when Freeview stops being, well, free....    Let's just see how happy people are when their free bbc news app suddenly disappears behind a paywall or some prime national sporting event suddenly goes pay per view or their local radio station which used to broadcast football commentary for some small league team in full suddenly gets broken up by ads or simply removed altogether for not making money.

Commercial radio is not all its cracked up to be. Hallam fm for example only has about 2 shows a week made local.  The rest are just networked shows from Manchester/Leeds stations

Grass is always greener and that...

Edited by ECCOnoob

My fear for the BBC is that it would go down the road of endless “celebrity “ programmes like ITV has . 

22 hours ago, hackey lad said:

My fear for the BBC is that it would go down the road of endless “celebrity “ programmes like ITV has . 

BBC3 is back soon, so no doubt that will happen.

Although Radio 2 has already gone down that route and plonked lots of celebs in as DJs

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

BBC3 is back soon, so no doubt that will happen.

Although Radio 2 has already gone down that route and plonked lots of celebs in as DJs

Yes I’ve noticed it creeping in. Just hope they don’t go full hog on it. Dumbed down Tv and radio  is cheap to make 

Two critical views of a "State Broadcaster".  From Canada,

"CBC will get more of your money mostly because it serves Trudeau Liberals"

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-cbc-will-get-more-of-your-money-mostly-because-it-serves-trudeau-liberals

And:

"Senior journalist quits broadcaster over its 'radical political agenda', 'woke worldview' and belief 'that some races are more relevant to the public conversation than others"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10369087/Canadian-journalist-explains-quit-CBC-joined-Substack-wokeness.html

On 20/01/2022 at 12:30, alchresearch said:

To be able to binge all of ITV's "The Bay" on ITV Hub you're forced to sit through ads.  Although not as many as if it were on regular TV.

I made the mistake of trying to watch summat on ITV Player.  After completing the online form requesting demanding my personal details, I was forced to sit through adverts before the show began.

I've never hit the off button on the remote so fast.