Save The Bbc

I thought the old BBC license fee had been killed years ago.

The BBC is a useless as the Royal Family.

I remember in the early days of TV, how they used to have their wireless vans prowling the neighborhood, looking for clandestine TV receivers. Looked a bit like Warsaw in 1947.

I also remembered how the BBC perpetrated the "class system" by their stereotyping of the working class as nothing more than the butt of London jokes! "Ee, I cud eat a meat pie!"

They were still at it when they finally gave the working class their own Corrie Street.

Off with their heads!

i can understand some of the sentiment behind this : some people get upset that they're paying for something they don't use.

(i bet they do)

But i don't have kids, i'm still happy to pay towards running schools, it's how society works.

(see also : libraries, council-owned golf courses, care homes, pensions, the M8, the royal family, etc.)

but for the BBC to survive on a mixed diet of advertising + subscription, it's going to need help.

This clearly isn't about moving to a more egalitarian system, this is about shutting down the BBC.

Edited by ads36

39 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

did you ever pay it????

Yes. The people who are scrapping it wouldn't want the money going to BLM, so that's where it's going.

14 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i can understand some of the sentiment behind this : some people get upset that they're paying for something they don't use.

(i bet they do)

But i don't have kids, i'm still happy to pay towards running schools, it's how society works.

(see also : libraries, council-owned golf courses, care homes, pensions, the M8, the royal family, etc.)

but for the BBC to survive on a mixed diet of advertising + subscription, it's going to need help.

This clearly isn't about moving to a more egalitarian system, this is about shutting down the BBC.

It is indeed about shutting down government news agencies.

They have a built in conflict of interest.

They are biased against any political party who would defund them, and in favor of the Party that keeps their coffers full of taxpayer money.

It's just human nature at work!

Simple solution.   Change the name, 'TV Licence Fee' to  subscription fee, scrap the TV Licencing Dept.,  and scramble the various BBC signals.  People could then pay for whatever BBC channels they wish to subscribe too, as with the likes of Sky. 

It would also end the problem of licence fee dodgers

Wonder if public funding for just BBC radio would be an idea? BBC So long as its a relatively small amount per person.

Other parts of the BBC could be separated and run along the lines of Netflix / Amazon video.

1 minute ago, spilldig said:

Not been fit for purpose since about the end of 80s  and it wasn't any use in the 60s. I recall the way they used to ban any half decent record forcing everyone to listen to Radio Luxembourg with bad reception. Radio Caroline, the way they tried every way possible to shut it down. The condescending way that Murray Walker used to talk down to people on F1 even though he didn't have a clue and the difference when someone came on who knew what they were talking about, like James Hunt. The witch hunts with the, so called, detector vans. The threats etc.

Edited by spilldig
went on twice.

17 hours ago, zoco said:

I love this sentence:

"Unless we act the BBC as we know it will be destroyed, hidden behind a paywall, and only accessible to those who can afford it."

which to me implies that currently there are people who can't afford it who watch BBC TV content free of charge i.e. not buying a TV Licence.

Me too, especially when you consider how many BBC programmes - especially classic comedy ones - aren't available free on iPlayer but I have to pay for UKTV Play or Britbox to see them.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Wonder if public funding for just BBC radio would be an idea? BBC So long as its a relatively small amount per person.

Other parts of the BBC could be separated and run along the lines of Netflix / Amazon video.

It would be just like general taxation, the rich would pay most of it. BBC radio and the BBC world service would need to be funded, to keep Britain Great.

The licence fee also funds other channels, not just the BBC, it funds programs that are in the interests of the general good.

The licence fee should be scrapped and the BBC should be left to fend for itself. 

It's not what it was, its now an agenda driven woke mess and let's not forget how the BBC covered for Saville. 

Scrap the license and let's see what happens 

Hmmm... :huh:

While the BBC is publically funded, it will (like most publically funded organisations) continue to waste money through poor budgetary controls and management.

A good example of the difference between an organisation that has to justify its costs (through advertising and good management) and one where they think they can just demand more funding from the public, is the cost of the new sets for the ITV and BBC soap operas.

While ITV spent £10m on the new set for Coronation Street

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6099280/coronation-street-new-set-itv-10m-open-public-may/

the BBC managed to spend a whopping £87m on their new EastEnders set, having now gone £27m over budget!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46521700

Can any viewers tell the difference in value for money on screen? :shakes:

What really annoys me is that the BBC blatantly advertises products etc on all sorts of programmes.

Once upon a time any product name would be blanked out .... not nowadays.  An example was on the BBC news this morning ..... a woman climber was being interviewed and she wore a knitted hat advertising Red Bull  !   You couldn't miss it, there was no other reason for her to wear a woolly hat in the studio other than to promote  Red Bull.     The BBC are total hypocrits.

Edited by francypants