Morrisons And Milk.

I read that the supermarket chain are scrapping the 'use by' date on their milk containers, and are suggesting that we sniff it instead.

I hope they're not suggesting we do that in the shop before actual purchase, as the seal might be broken by the previous sniffer who then decided to put it back!

34 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

I read that the supermarket chain are scrapping the 'use by' date on their milk containers, and are suggesting that we sniff it instead.

I hope they're not suggesting we do that in the shop before actual purchase, as the seal might be broken by the previous sniffer who then decided to put it back!

I can't imagine why you would ever think that to be the case.

All they are trying to bring in is to stop people blindly following "use by" days every time they open the fridge at home and thus creating mountains of food waste every week.  The fact is that many foods are perfectly edible beyond that date and it's encouraging people to go back to their basic common sense of looking and smelling something to see if it's gone off.

Edited by ECCOnoob

The "fact" is that many folk with internet access are too dumb for their own good.

Morrisons milk will continue to have a "best before" date.

How you use that bit of information is up to you.

34 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

The "fact" is that many folk with internet access are too dumb for their own good.

Morrisons milk will continue to have a "best before" date.

How you use that bit of information is up to you.

So long as they all use the same thing, then we can compare in the store.

They could tell us on what date the cow was milked and let us make our own mind up?

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

It's a sensible initiative by Morrisons as a consequence of far too much drinkable milk being thrown down the sink because of use by dates.  The life of milk can be affected by such things as the weather and how the milk is stored.  Anything that encourages less wastage should be encouraged and this is the only goal of Morrisons on this issue.

Yes.

I know.

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

All they are trying to bring in is to stop people blindly following "use by" days every time they open the fridge at home and thus creating mountains of food waste every week.  The fact is that many foods are perfectly edible beyond that date and it's encouraging people to go back to their basic common sense of looking and smelling something to see if it's gone off.

You've never spotted anybody "sampling" things in a supermarket  before buying?!

Yes, disgusting, but it does happen.

Makes you wonder how our forebears made it out of adolescence & into middle age with out a little label telling them when their food & drink was potentially going to make them ill. 

Oh yes! They just used a bit of common sense & carried out a quick smell & taste test. 

Bought some potatoes from Tesco on Tuesday , no date on them, went to peel some yesterday, most of them black under the skin, no one knows when they were picked!

25 minutes ago, pintor said:

Bought some potatoes from Tesco on Tuesday , no date on them, went to peel some yesterday, most of them black under the skin, no one knows when they were picked!

Things like potatoes can be stored for months before they hit the shelves

On 17/01/2022 at 18:51, ECCOnoob said:

Well said. I’ve never gone by use by dates preferring my eyes and nose. My kids though will bin anything ‘out of date’ even when it passes the   Sight and smell test

I’ve always done this anyway.  Sometimes milk has gone off before the use by date, other times it’s lasted well past them.  Most people I know do the same and with other foods.  
I used to work with a woman though who would want to throw away bananas as soon as they started to ripen. Which is frankly bananas! Fortunately people always offered to take them before she binned them!